Username Password: Remember me

seat install
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: seat install

seat install 15 years, 1 month ago #3862

• deadeyeb
  • Comp School
i just picked up a kirkey deluxe road seat and wonder if there are any secrets to mounting it in these cars. i was going to cut the original mounts out and install some doubled 1x1 tubing to the floor with plating on the sill and tunnel. any help will be appreciated. i would like to get seat in to set my belt bar height
Fred B.
83 944 in progress
94 f350 dually
95 audi s6

Re:seat install 15 years, 1 month ago #3864

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
Are you mounting fixed in position or using a slider?
Is it an early or late model car?

- For my driver seat with bottom mounted Sparco slider, I used tubing to make a frame sorta like you described, attached to the sill and tunnel. It's a little higher than I'd like, but this is still a shared training car so we need adjustability.

- For my passenger seat, it's fixed it in place by two 1.5 inch channel iron from tunnel to sill, then I used angled aluminum secured through them and the floor, then side mounted the seat to the aluminum so it sits all the way on the floor.

On both of them I left the front raised floor in place but cut out the rear factory mounts. That gave me the seat angle I liked. Mine's an early car.

And, WATCH OUT for the fuel/brake lines when drilling.
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway
Last Edit: 15 years, 1 month ago by Gary_44.

Re:seat install 15 years, 1 month ago #3874

• deadeyeb
  • Comp School
early 944 fixed seat dedicated to just racing. seat is going to be a little tight in the car , i'm 6'1" at 250# i feel like big guy in a little coat. i love how these cars handle though.
Fred B.
83 944 in progress
94 f350 dually
95 audi s6

Re:seat install 15 years, 1 month ago #3875

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
I use a very similar seat (Ultrashield), mounted on Racetech brackets. The seat mounts to the brackets through the side, the brackets mount to steel plates that run front-to-back on each side, which are in turn bolted through the floor.

And I'll second Gary_44's warning - be very careful when drilling through the driver's floorboard, as there are definitely things you can cut on the underside if you're not careful, and they are very close to the spot that you are likely to want to drill through.
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec

Re:seat install 15 years, 1 month ago #3878

• deadeyeb
  • Comp School
thanks for the help
Fred B.
83 944 in progress
94 f350 dually
95 audi s6

Re:seat install 15 years, 1 month ago #3883

• Jump07
  • Senior Racer
I just mounted my Kirkey seat on Thursday and I DID drill through my fuel line! What a disaster! I had a half tank on gas spewing everywhere. A new hard line is $200 and you have to drop the rear suspension and the tranny to install it. Luckily I made a phone call before I ordered anything and wad told to get some braided fuel line and some clamps and splice it. I used a hacksaw to clean up the broken ends and $8 later it was fixed! And I was able to put the fender washers and nuts for the seat under the fuel line.
Definitely a bad spot to be drilling! Be careful!
Jeremy Mathews
NorCal
1985 944 #07
2003 GMC 1500 Sierra Z71
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds