Username Password: Remember me

Firewall Has Crack at Master Cylinder
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Firewall Has Crack at Master Cylinder

Firewall Has Crack at Master Cylinder 15 years, 5 months ago #3998

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
I did a search but couldn't find anything. In progress of replacing the Master cylinder I noticed a crack in the firewall (wavy line underneath the hole for MC is the crack - first two are from engine bay side and 2nd 2 pics are from interior side under the dash). It looks like someone tried JB Weld at one point and I pounded the firewall to make if flush. Has anyone had this problem...looks like fatigue stress. How did they get it fixed? I'm wondering if I should have a proper shop reinforce the area and do a better weld job than I can do with my flux welder.

Also on a side note...what is this apparatus in the very middle of the picture. It connects to the intake manifold and the wires run into the engine wiring harness. I have no idea what it is. The car is a very early 1983 (1982 mfg date) US 944.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re:Firewall Has Crack at Master Cylinder 15 years, 5 months ago #4003

First.
From those picutures I can't tell it is a crack. It could be undercoating from the factory. I would get in there and check carefully first before calling it a crack.

2nd. that little silver cylinder is part of the idle control system for the A/C. Early cars us a valve under the intake to contol cold idle. The valve is used to raise idle to deal with the load from the A/C compressor. You don't need it.

Remove all the lines and plug at the source. You do need the one under the intake manifold.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Firewall Has Crack at Master Cylinder 15 years, 5 months ago #4007

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
Thx Joe.

There is a crack as we could see daylight through it. It is harder to see as we pounded the metal back so it is flush and hard to tell due to the coating. I posted on rennlist and it seems to be a common problem on early 944s - stress fracture over time and use. You can weld it or replace with new plates or use some brackets to add extra support.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re:Firewall Has Crack at Master Cylinder 15 years, 5 months ago #4012

• deadeyeb
  • Comp School
i had the same problem on my 83 started around the clutch master cylinder and ran to the fender.i welded a patch but was a bitch with everything in the way . be carefull i lit the inside foam on fire made a little of a mess. i just took the motor out to check bearings and will do a better job when i rmove the brake booster. somebody before me had a heavy clutch foot.
Fred B.
83 944 in progress
94 f350 dually
95 audi s6
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds