Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Exhaust questions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Exhaust questions

Exhaust questions 15 years ago #4138

In my effort to get to weight I have started looking at running straight pipe with no muffler. Has anyone done this? If so what is the make diameter for the tubing? I have heard 2.5"...

Also, have people made thier own frankenstein exhaust systems or do race system exist to buy?

TIA

Blake
- Blake

1988 Black Spec-944 #141 - McDonald's

Re:Exhaust questions 15 years ago #4139

The OEM exhaust is metric, I believe - it's just under 2.25. A straight pipe is obnoxiously loud - I ran my car that way for most of a year before I gave in. One of the smaller straight through tubular muffler from Autozone works well, and is light. Welding in a cat delete pipe and slipping on one of those mufflers is all you need.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Exhaust questions 15 years ago #4141

if it's too loud your too old.

well mine has one muffler like Eric said and it's still too loud.

Re:Exhaust questions 15 years ago #4142

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
I can finally hear my car over others when racing and it actually sounds like a race car for the first time in my life! I welded on a straight pipe in place of the cat and welded in a straight through dynomax bullet muffler to replace the Porsche one. Just take the time to mock it up, tack weld, check fitment and finish the welding.
I guess I'm not too old now! YeeHaa

Re:Exhaust questions 15 years ago #4144

I have two set-ups for my 944. I removed the cat pipe and installed a straight pipe there of stock diameter. After that I run a stock muffler section. I also have a straight pipe end which is stock, but no muffler at all. I ran both at Miller last summer. I found no power gain from the straight pipe and found myself faster with the stock muffler. It was not so much due to power, but I sound.

It seem strange, but the straight pipe was so loud I could not use the sound to judge my throttle position and RPM. It was very on/off. With stock muffler back on I could hear the engine more vs the exhaust and found it easier to control part throttle imputs and be smoother in the car. As a result I could attack the corners better and run faster. Odd right?

Well since I did not notice any power change with either set-up I continue to use my stock muffler. Weight is not a problem for me either. The other benefit is that a straight open pipe is really loud in the paddock. Those warm up times and trying to diagnose engine sounds is so much harder with an open exhaust. Idle with a stock muffler is really nice and makes it easlier to hear any engine noises like weak lifters or squealing balance or timing belt rollers.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Exhaust questions 15 years ago #4145

I'm running a cat delete pipe and and an aluminum glass pack (freebie !), and my car is probably at least as loud as anyone in the RM region. Last year a Miata "converted" it to a straight pipe. It wasn't much louder, it just sounded more like farm machinery. If I were to do again, I'd invest in something to refine the sound a bit. Anybody use an "Aeroturbine" ? I've been considering trying one of their mufflers on either of my cars.

BTW between the cat and the muffler, there is a lot of weight to lose there. Somebody can chime with actual weight. Seems to me it's like 35#
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds