Username Password: Remember me

Removing side body moldings
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Removing side body moldings

Removing side body moldings 15 years ago #4211

• S4lex
  • Drivers Ed
Planning to remove the side body moldings on my early 85 to prep for paint and decals. Any tips? Searched under 'molding' here and at NASA RM didn't turn anything up. Best I found indicated some nasty adhesive may be lurking:

en.allexperts.com/q/Auto-body-repair-203...-Adhesive-Mastic.htm
Last Edit: 15 years ago by S4lex.

Re:Removing side body moldings 15 years ago #4223

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
I have a related question that may have been answered in the above link. I couldn't get the adhesive from the Porsche quarter panel sickers by the wheel wells (gravel protectors) to come off with the 3M adhesive remover. Any sugesstions?

Re:Removing side body moldings 15 years ago #4224

Xylene, just be sure to get gloves made for paint stripper. The xylene won't hurt the paint but it eats through latex and nitrile gloves quickly.

Re:Removing side body moldings 15 years ago #4230

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
For the moldings, you'll need to remove the screw/rivet/whatever that holds the rear edge of the molding to the inside of the door, and then carefully pry the molding off of the door.

I removed the remaining adhesive by using a heat gun to loosen/release it, and then just slowly working it loose with my thumb (a plastic putty knife can be helpful here, too.) It took a long time, but was worth the effort. The last few bits that stay behind can be removed with some rubbing alcohol (I'm sure that stronger adhesive remover would also work, but I didn't find it necessary to use that on this particular stuff.)
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds