Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Side exit exhaust?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Side exit exhaust?

Side exit exhaust? 14 years, 11 months ago #4488

Anyone have one? I have to modify my current setup for the upcoming weekend (still had my header from my cup days) and this is my 5th weekend so stock mani's for me. Since relocating, I have lost my trusted exhaust shop and the only one in the area can't help me out this week. With that said, I got to put something together and the easiest setup is a simple resonator and a pipe exiting to the side. Any thoughts?
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:Side exit exhaust? 14 years, 11 months ago #4490

Rulese state the following

12.7 Exhaust System
12.7.1 The OEM/Stock exhaust manifold (header) is required. The stock header consists of two separate manifolds, one connecting cylinders 1 and 4 and the other connecting cylinders 2 and 3. Headers may be welded to repair cracks and headers may be wrapped with appropriate materialsso long as the wrap is removable. Headers may not be coated or painted inside or outside.
12.7.2 Exhaust system rearward of the OEM header is unrestricted provided it serves no other
function than to expel exhaust gases.

So you are free to do what you want. I would be concern about a side exit with respect to ground clearance. I run my car 4" to the rocker and 2.5" pipe leaves only 1.5" to the ground at side of the car.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 14 years, 11 months ago by joepaluch.

Re:Side exit exhaust? 14 years, 11 months ago #4492

Thanks Joe. I checked the rules before I even considered this and as far as ground clearance goes, I am still sitting around 5" and this is only a temporary fix so once I get the ride height where I need it the exhaust will be out the rear.
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:Side exit exhaust? 14 years, 11 months ago #4496

• F1rocks
  • Junior Racer
I did a Turbo S side exhaust with a real low ride height. I bought a 1.5' piece of 6" diesel stack type material and flattened it to an oval to keep the exhaust square inches pretty big. You can dump a turbo exhaust with no reprisal for back pressure which was my goal. Also saved a crap load of weight as I dumped it just behind the passenger front tire.

Hot...holy crap did it get hot. I had to wrap it in manifold DEI tape to keep the floor board from cooking and remember if you have a late car, your dme is on the floor board. Also you may have to cross your fuel line path when you dump out the side. Make sure to insulate. I planned on insulation and still needed to add more after a couple 30 minute sessions.

I'm assuming EGT's would be similar on a NA so just make sure to account for it. For the spec car I ran it out the back as I don't consider it beneficial.

By the time you get done screwing around, timewise I think it's just as easy to run out the back. The pipe benders are pretty prevalent.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds