Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Welt bushing install, spring plates
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Welt bushing install, spring plates

Welt bushing install, spring plates 14 years, 10 months ago #4964

On the spring plate bushings, they are very snug, like won't slide down the spring plate when installed in the carrier.

Is this normal for Welts?

Or, should I sand down the inner diameter a bit?

Just a bit or lube and persuasion?

Re:Welt bushing install, spring plates 14 years, 10 months ago #4965

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
That's normal in every torsion bar car I've ever owned (14 VW's, 911SC,356A, and 944). The 944 was definitely the tightest fit and I lubed and pounded mine on. Some people machine them down a bit to fit and to free them up from binding potential. That's probably the way to go but if you don't want to do that just muscle them on with a lot of grease, at least that's what I do!

Re:Welt bushing install, spring plates 14 years, 10 months ago #4966

make sure the tube is clean and grease it up . Then double check you have the correct bushing. Then hammer it on !

Call me if you need help I did Tbars on the #913 car Friday.

Re:Welt bushing install, spring plates 14 years, 10 months ago #4976

We've had them bind so tight the rear axle won't move & the rear end pogos around like it's got 1,500lb/in springs. There's video of Ray's car doing this, with daylight under the tires:blink:

I've found that sanding/milling the inner part of the bushings works well - it makes the smooth spring plate tube the bearing surface, and the rough torsion tube/outer surface static. Look in the budget build sticky thread for a description of how I did this in the build.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Welt bushing install, spring plates 14 years, 10 months ago #4977

Eric yours were delrin not welt black right ? and was the POGO car spring plate bushings or swing arm bushings ? I am asking cause I'm doing a car in the AM .
thanks

Re:Welt bushing install, spring plates 14 years, 10 months ago #4979

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
Cullen just added one or two washers to each bolt to seperate the spring plate and tube just enough to limit the binding. It worked for his as well as mine.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds