Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Post First race ?s. welt sway and koni settings
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Post First race ?s. welt sway and koni settings

Post First race ?s. welt sway and koni settings 14 years, 7 months ago #5762

So, finished the first race, a three hour enduro at HPR outside Denver.

Surprisingly, the car ran great. Good oil pressure and water temps the whole time.

My questions are on the suspension settings.

Is there a pretty common setting for front Konis and the weltmeister sway bars. I have 400lb springs.

I have the front shocks set at 3/4 firm.

Also, could some people send me the measurements of how far from the ends their sway bar drop links are front and rear? I want to know if mine are in the ballpark of what most are running.

My tires are Hankook RS-2s. They are a 200 treadwear, I got them cheap and with strained 1st year budget that is what I could afford. I am running 41 in the fronts and 40 pressure in the backs. Good even wear.

Just my car seemed to push quite a bit. And just watching the other 944s as they passed me , I could tell they were sticking better and holding lines I could not.

I posted a couple of pics to kevingosselin.blogspot.com Just nice to see the car on the track.

Re:Post First race ?s. welt sway and koni settings 14 years, 7 months ago #5763

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
I have the front sways in the middle and actually unhooked the rears for nationals. I think most cars are running about 1/2" from the end of the rear sway bar. I'm running softer springs up front.
Lee
Hope you had a good time running the enduro. It was a blast!
Last Edit: 14 years, 7 months ago by 944cer.

Re:Post First race ?s. welt sway and koni settings 14 years, 7 months ago #5764

Like I said on rennlist I am not sure how much tuning you can/should do on street tires.

As for where to put the sway bars.... It is real mystery. The reason is that it is very dependant on the rest of the alignment an how you drive the car. It is even track dependant. Best to start softer on both ends and then go stiffer. In fact on street tires you may want more roll since it can be hard to feel what the car is doing.

Still the weltsway are good as they allow for fast adjustments. I moved my rear sway bay 8mm and then 5mm at Nationals. Made a big difference.

In general if you have corner exit understeer you want the rear stiffer. If you corner entry oversteer you want the front stiffer. However all this is just the tip of the iceberg on set-up.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds