Username Password: Remember me

Halo seats, recommendations?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Halo seats, recommendations?

Halo seats, recommendations? 14 years, 6 months ago #5788

• bnewport
  • Comp School
Any one got one in their cars? Fit/brands/evacing the car in a hurry?

Thanks for comments.

Re:Halo seats, recommendations? 14 years, 6 months ago #5789

I've got the Sparco Pro ADV. Took quite a bit of practice, but I can get out of the car quickly and easily now.
David Wright
#96 944 Spec
NASA Rocky Mountain HPDE 2 Group Leader

Re:Halo seats, recommendations? 14 years, 6 months ago #5790

• Big Dog
  • Banned
A subject near and dear to my heart.

I use a Butler Built seat. It wraps the hips and ribs tightly to hold you in place so you can feel the car and not move at all. It has shoulder pieces that serve to actually take the stress in the event of a crash because your ribs are very weak compared to your shoulders. I have seen a number of guys with fractured ribs from lesser seats without the shoulder pieces. The halo is first rate as well, of course. Butler manufactures lots of seats for NASCAR guys so they KNOW seats.

These seats are not "custom" seats with custom prices. They have their seat made in a variety of different measurements. You measure your body and they send you a seat that fits your measurements for a tight fit. With a good harness system (I love the Team Tech system) you are quite secure.

In my opinion, your seat, how it is mounted and your harness (in conjunction with your Hans and helmut, of course) are the most important considerations for your safety, your life.

Do not mount your seat on the floor. It has buckled in EVERY significant 944 crash I have looked at and has allowed all of those seats to move significantly in a lateral motion, enough to allow helmut contact with the roll cage or side of the car.

If you are interested in a Butler seat and/or a Team Tech harness, they can be confusing. If you need help, just let me know.

Have fun and stay safe.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Halo seats, recommendations? 14 years, 6 months ago #5792

I think Jim is saying don't mount the seat to the floor without reinforcements. There is not way to not put some mounting on the floor.

I will say that 95% of seats are mounted to the floor and he is right the floor can move.

As for halo seats one major issue to consider is getting out. Some really make that hard and given that a good side net is better. Some racing safety experts even believe a good need is better than a halo seat. The seats jim is talking about are solid strong seats. They may not be for everyone, but clearly Jim loves them.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Halo seats, recommendations? 14 years, 6 months ago #5795

• fishguy
  • Comp School
I am in the same camp as Jim(big dog) on this issue.
I have sat in his car and it is a very nice set up, and worth whatever it cost.

I went with the sparco circuit pro. this was something i did prior to being in Jims car. it was about $780 shipped to my door from saferacer(with my %10 SM discount code).

if i was starting over, i would realy look at what jim did on this issue closely and maybe have gone that route.
getting in/out is not an issue for me 6', 200lbs.
I have not used a right side net, but for me, i just dont see how one could compare to a halo seat. my vision is not impaired with the seat, and my lateral head motion is restricted on both sides.

I went with the halo because for me the right side net just seemed like a way to pass the rules, but not get the most protection in this area.
the halo seat with the HANS "feels" like it will offer me the best available proection.

safety is a presonal choice, so the only real right answer is for you to do your own research, like you are doing, and come up with your own best approach.
Josh

Re:Halo seats, recommendations? 14 years, 6 months ago #5803

joepaluch wrote:
I think Jim is saying don't mount the seat to the floor without reinforcements. There is not way to not put some mounting on the floor.

Actually, Jim IS saying don't mount the seat to the floor period. It can and should be done. You basically weld the seat mount to the cage and then the seat mounts to it. At no point should a seat be floor mounted with or without reinforcements. This is something I disagree with about FIA regs. Coming from a circle track background, this is how all of my seats used to be mounted. As soon as I fix my cage, this is how mine will be done.
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds