Username Password: Remember me

Steam vent
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Steam vent

Steam vent 14 years, 5 months ago #6135

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I have been reading some things about a "steam vent" that is allowed by the rules. I have no idea what it is, why it was created and what help it gives our engines.

Can those of you that know what this is enlighten me (and others) on it.

On the Gold 13 car, the water temperature sensor was relocated to a small metal tube that comes off the top, rear part of the engine. It has been crimped and sealed. The engine builder threaded into that for my new temp sender unit. The problem I am having is that the water temp reads very high even though a temp gun says the water coming out of the engine to the radiator is fine temperature wise. I am wondering if that is the place the "steam vent" comes off of to vent some build up of steam in the engine.

I intend to relocate the sender unit in any event.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Steam vent 14 years, 5 months ago #6138

• F1rocks
  • Junior Racer
Based on the design of the head, angle of the engine etc....the back corner (driver's side) has a pocket of basically steam. It has been determined that especially on higher compression or turbo cars, this is a weakness that can cause premature failure of the head gasket due to excessive and inconsistent heat across the head.

You drill and tap a hole in the back side of the head, tie a small hose into that elbow fitting, route that up to the small return hose on the radiator return and voila you allow an additional passage for water flow which eliminates the pocket that potentially never sees proper cooling.

Linsdey sells a kit but you can buy everything you need at the hardware store to do this.

This is best done when the head is off the car or engine is out.

Re:Steam vent 14 years, 5 months ago #6141

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Thanks. I will find out more about just where to do the tap so I am ready the next time the engine is out of the car.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Steam vent 14 years, 4 months ago #6411

• tcomeau
Interesting................
There is a stock metal water tube that runs above the headers and goes to the heater core in street cars. This supplies the heater core with hot water. From there, the water comes out of the heater core and returns water to the drivers side rear top of the head via a metal j-tube with a stock temp switch in it (those 2 black prongs with vacuum hoses.)
I have always liked the idea of getting cooler water, just having come thru the radiator, to the top of the head back there, so......
We remove the heater core and simply run a rubber hose around the back of the engine from that metal water tube to that metal J-tube. The diameter of the metal water tube and the J-tube are slightly different so you have to make sure the hose clamps are tight.
I wonder if this does away with that steam pocket that you guys are talking about?
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds