Username Password: Remember me

Fuel pump
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fuel pump

Fuel pump 14 years, 5 months ago #6136

• Big Dog
  • Banned
How does one protect a used fuel pump to keep it from drying out and leaking all over when trying to use it months later. I have ruined several, so far. I even used olive oil and sealed one in a baggy. That didn't work either.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Fuel pump 14 years, 5 months ago #6137

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
You forgot the pinch of salt and a tablespoon of paprika...maybe some grated cheese...

Seriously though I've had the same problem, pretty frustrating...it's allways the seal at the housing crimp. I used to get a fuel additive that helped keep my early cars webbers from junking up and drying out when sitting, but found wd40 worked fine, also soaking parts in brake fluid will expand and soften certain types of seals, something like a auto trans "repair in a can" will do the same thing. Might try that on a dead one and see what happens...
Last Edit: 14 years, 5 months ago by JRichard.

Re:Fuel pump 14 years, 4 months ago #6410

• tcomeau
Jim,
I've had early fuel pumps work fine that were kept in my dry spares bin for years. Is it a crush ring issue?
I just do a test spin with a battery before installing them to make sure they are still spinning.
Tim Comeau
SoCal 944 Spec #22 since Feb 2003.
Let's keep building it!

Re:Fuel pump 14 years, 3 months ago #6580

• ChazTech
  • Drivers Ed
  • SEBRING LOVER
Yeah i bought my 951 wich was sitting for a year with gas in it. nasty black goo filled my fuel pump and the bottom of my tank. I removed the fuel pump, uncrimped the crimped edge and took it completely apart cleaned it and put it back together crimping it back using the edge of a work bench and a ball pin hammer, i then used J-B weld (hell yeah J-B weld) and it sealed perfectly. no leaks and started right up.
-Chaz Tekk
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds