Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

exhaust ??
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: exhaust ??

exhaust ?? 16 years, 1 month ago #622

Our local muffler guy (and corvette racer) is willing to hook me up with some work at greatly reduced cost, so I am planning to have him remove the cat. Here's my question:

How much weight will I lose by replacing the cat with a piece of straight pipe ? (I've got to be careful, not a whole lot more can come out of my car)

Thanks

Re:exhaust ?? 16 years, 1 month ago #625

you need the cat out . it's the only thing we do to make more power in our cars. add some fuel to make up for the weight.

Re:exhaust ?? 16 years, 1 month ago #628

• dmdirks
If I remember correctly the cat weighs around 20lbs, so the net loss is around 17 lbs.
David Dirks
www.944MotorWerks.com
2010 944-Spec National Champion
Rocky Mountain Region

Re:exhaust ?? 16 years, 1 month ago #629

Yep ditch the cat.

It can get you 8-10hp. The weight savings can be corrected with a little ballast. I run 30lbs of ballast to make sure I meet weight even with no fuel in the car.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:exhaust ?? 16 years, 1 month ago #633

Thanks Guys, I would also like to hear the revs a little better (yes I know I could look at the tach once in a while !)Will the cat removal change the sound much ?

I was thinking I could put an el cheapo cherry bomb on the car (just to PO the knuckle-draggers) Does the engine require the back pressure that the stock exhaust provides ?

Re:exhaust ?? 16 years, 1 month ago #635

it sounds best with no cat .
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds