Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

exhaust ??
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: exhaust ??

Re:exhaust ?? 16 years ago #925

I have a Bursch cat back exhaust which is basically a Dynomax muffler and the car is relatively quiet. Since I now have a car trailer and due to my sudden loss of power last weekend at Infineon, I am having the catalytic converter removed and replaced with a straight pipe. Guess I'll find out next week when I get my car back to see how loud it is.

Reason why I am removing the cat is partly for weight but mainly because the cat is about 25 years old and there is a possibility that it is falling apart and clogging the exhaust flow which could have caused my significant power loss.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:exhaust ?? 16 years ago #929

Removing the cat is the one true place we can add power to our cars. it is a must have.

Re:exhaust ?? 16 years ago #930

SvoChuck wrote:
Removing the cat is the one true place we can add power to our cars. it is a must have.

Yep,
I believe a 944 spec gained 8-9hp as measured on a dyno from removing the old cat.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:exhaust ?? 16 years ago #932

That's great to know that the car could potentially gain up to 9 horsepower from the removal of the cats. What is a good muffler that was used to gain that power? I have a Magnaflow on my 1988 and I really like that one.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:exhaust ?? 16 years ago #938

Litespeeds wrote:
That's great to know that the car could potentially gain up to 9 horsepower from the removal of the cats. What is a good muffler that was used to gain that power?....

...Stock...
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:exhaust ?? 16 years ago #981

My cat is under the scalpel, as we speak. The surgeon says it'll have to be amputated !! Just in time for Gateway I'm leaning towards the cut-out idea again, since I don't really need to lose much more weight. Stock muffler on the way to the track, wide open flame thrower when I'm there. Might scare the kids, and old ladies though
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds