Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Need 30mm torsion bar reference measurement
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Need 30mm torsion bar reference measurement

Need 30mm torsion bar reference measurement 14 years, 3 months ago #6710

Since I'm converting from coilovers to 30mm torsion bars, I have no starting point for indexing.

Does anyone have a reference measurement for an unloaded suspension with 30 mm torsion bars? I have aluminum banana arms.

I realize that this measurement will be dependant on your final ride height etc but at least it will get me in the ballpark and I can play with it from there. Right now, I have no clue how far the 30mm bars will flex when loaded.

Thank you!

Re:Need 30mm torsion bar reference measurement 14 years, 3 months ago #6711

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
When we did Jeremy's bars a couple of weeks ago I think the number we were using was 4".
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:Need 30mm torsion bar reference measurement 14 years, 3 months ago #6712

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Be careful with that number - it appears that it was the change value (subtract 4" from the static height) and I don't remember the exact values on his work sheet. (the spread sheet is only giving the change value)
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re:Need 30mm torsion bar reference measurement 14 years, 3 months ago #6713

Thanks for the post. I'm really looking for a measurement from some relative points with the suspension relaxed (i.e. off the ground) with 30mm torsion bars installed that gave a good ride height.

I know I'm asking for a lot

Re:Need 30mm torsion bar reference measurement 14 years, 3 months ago #6714

What spring rate do you have in the car now? I know you are using coilovers, but was the spring rate greater than 330lbs-in effective?

I believe with 30 mm bars you will want to be something like 9 inches to the center of the hub as showin in this picture.

The problem is you stand a strong chance of having to do it twice since you don't have good refernce for your car.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Need 30mm torsion bar reference measurement 14 years, 3 months ago #6721

I had 575# springs on the coilovers but I'm not sure that is meaningful to setting it up with torsion bars. I didn't take any measurements when removing the suspension and it is already out.

The guy that I'm swapping suspension with thinks he has some setup measurements so I've got my fingers crossed that I can get away without having to re-index.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds