Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Clutch Job Suggestions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Clutch Job Suggestions

Clutch Job Suggestions 14 years, 2 months ago #6793

Greetings:
Brother Jim & I just bought a spec 944. The cage is very nice, the paint is very nice, it handles well and we burned out the clutch after our 2nd 15 min. stint at Streets of Willow two weeks ago. Oh well!
We're getting ready to do the clutch and we figure we may as well do any other wear items along the way in a quest to eventually have a dependable car. I'm planning on new boots, grease & bolts(safety wired)for the CV's. What clutch are people using successfully? I've read the older clutch posts. What other jobs do you recommend while the trans, etc, etc are out of the car?
Many thanks! We're excited to be part of this community.
John

Re:Clutch Job Suggestions 14 years, 2 months ago #6794

You'll want to do the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing at a minimum. You should have the flywheel turned and you are supposed to replace the flywheel bolts when you remove them (they are triplesquares or "cheeseheads" so you'll need that type of socket). It is a good idea to replace the pilot bearing too while you are in there.

Most people use the stock Sachs clutch (spring center, not rubber) and you can find some really cheap kits on ebay. The weak point of the Sachs clutch are the sheetmetal tabs that hold the friction surface to the spring center. I have had one stock clutch disc fail when those tabs gave out and I've seen a few others so it is a real concern as it ages but should last quite a while. One way to combat that is to use the turbo sport clutch disc (with the standard 944 PP) but they are expensive.

Other options are Centerforce or other aftermarket makers.

You'll have to remove the reference sensors to get the bellhousing off so it is a good time to take a close look at those. Other things might be shifter bushings, trans oil, get a feel for the torque tube bearings, rear main seal etc.

Depending what needs done on your car, it almost as easy to me to pull the engine than it is to pull the trans, torque tube etc, and have to work the clutch from the bottom. With the radiator removed, you can pull the engine out from the top without touching the trans. It is very tight but just squeezes out. With the engine out, the clutch job is a HECK of a lot easier.

Re:Clutch Job Suggestions 14 years, 2 months ago #6797

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Also as you have the flywheel off replace the rear main seal.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds