Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

'88 engine '84 DME questions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: '88 engine '84 DME questions

'88 engine '84 DME questions 14 years, 1 month ago #6997

I haven't been around these cars or forums for a little while, but have a project helping a friend get his car finished. It's an '88 engine (fresh dirks cheater motor ) mounted into an '84 chassis. I've been given the job of wiring and plumbing it.

We have an '84 DME, harness and a choice or early or late injectors. I'm not sure yet what year the AFM is yet. Rumor in the RM camp is that the '84 brain will work with the '88 engine provided that we use early injectors and AFM. I also searched and found reference to that in these forums, but not in any detail. Is that correct ?

I'm also wondering if there are any other issues re the TPS, IAC or any other sensors on the late motor. What else do I need to know to avoid problems ?

Thanks in advance guys
Last Edit: 14 years, 1 month ago by cullenwinter.

Re:'88 engine '84 DME questions 14 years, 1 month ago #7014

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
Did you get some answers Cullen? I would only be guessing.
Good luck on the project.

Re:'88 engine '84 DME questions 14 years, 1 month ago #7015

An 88 motor is no different from an 84 motor except for a differene in compression. So the 84 controls (DME,AFM & Injectors) won't care what the compression is. So that means it will run.

However the bigger question is how well will it run? My guess is that it will run just fine if you get the A/F ratios correct.

As for which injectors to run.. I believe car will work on either one, but again which one works better? I would go wth the early one to be sure they are matched to the DME better.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 14 years, 1 month ago by joepaluch.

Re:'88 engine '84 DME questions 14 years, 1 month ago #7018

Thanks Joe. I will be using all the early air/fuel related parts to go with the early DME. Dave Dirks pointed out that the difference in the early/late AFM is voltage supply, and I confirmed that the one I have is early, so I've got everything to move forward.

Apparently there is another car or two in the RM running this configuration with success. I thought it would be worth trying to find a late DME and harness to get the full potential of the '88 engine, but failed to find any deals. Best price I found was $400 for both from EASY.

Re:'88 engine '84 DME questions 14 years, 1 month ago #7022

if you want late stuff look on rennlist for a late AFM and 88 DME being parted out.

I think you will also want the late injectors. skip the harness. You can find that stuff from time to time cheap.

For now the early stuff should work fine.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:'88 engine '84 DME questions 14 years, 1 month ago #7040

I just discovered in trying to hook up the harness today that the "Auxiliary Air Valve 944.606.103.00" is different on early cars. It has a two post clip for the harness compared to the late version, called an "Idle stabilizer valve 930.606.161.00" which has a three post. Now, if I'm incorrect on this research, please let me know. Thanks
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds