Early vs late water temp sensor
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Early vs late water temp sensor

Early vs late water temp sensor 14 years, 1 month ago #7060

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
In my 944 I installed an early (84) engine into a late(85.5) chassis (rod went through block). The water temp sensor on the early block has one connection while the late has two. The sensors are not swappable as the size and thread are different. I'm sure that I am not the first of us to experience this, what have you guys done to remedy the problem?

NASA Rocky Mountain Region
#2 blue/ yellow 1985.5 944 (sold)
new car- 2006 late model howe chassis road race stock car.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:Early vs late water temp sensor 14 years, 1 month ago #7063

On my 84 chassis I have used an 87 block from 924S, 88 block from a 924S and 84 block.

I use a 87 924S DME harness and that has the temp sensor. There are two sensors. 1 which is blue and that is for the DME. I was able to use both early and late blocks and the 87 harenss plugged in to both.

The other sensor is the water temp gauge. On my 84 block it had a round button connector. I used the spade on the 87 harness right to that. I believe my later blocks used proper male spades. I connected that. Anyway I just connected it and it worked. Franly I can't remember if I had two connectors or just 1 for the temp gauge. Since it is just for the gauge it is not a big deal. Start the motor and fool around with the connector until you get the gauge working. You won't damage the motor as long as you don't over heat it. So if you have manual fans make sure you turn them on when the radiator gets hot.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Early vs late water temp sensor 14 years, 1 month ago #7068

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
Thanks Joe. I was hoping that was the case. I'll just fiddle with it till its right.
Now, If I can just remember where all these hoses go, I used to know them by memory but its obviously been too long since I've worked on a 44.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:Early vs late water temp sensor 14 years, 1 month ago #7069

Thanks guys, this helps me on my project too, since I'm have the opposite issue (late motor, early harness) I'll let you know if the temp gauge works and which of the two spades I connected to. Chris, I'm with you ! I'm spending a lot of time staring at the car trying to remember where everything goes. I'm getting there though

Re:Early vs late water temp sensor 14 years, 1 month ago #7070

• Chris
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Schmores
I just figured all the hoses out today, I had the benefit of my street 944 to cheat off of. Let me know if you need help with where things go, I can probably even take pictures.

HPDE 3 Group Leader

Re:Early vs late water temp sensor 14 years, 1 month ago #7071

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
Thanks Chris... Cullen & I appriciate it!
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director
Last Edit: 14 years, 1 month ago by Bottoz.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds