Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

straight pipe for exhaust?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: straight pipe for exhaust?

straight pipe for exhaust? 14 years ago #7296

Want to drop the heavy stock muffler, and I think I have seen a few cars without a muffler.

Any tracks in RM region I have to worry about running no muffler? Don't feel like spending money on a lighter model muffler if I don't have to.

Any reason not to run with no muffler?

Re:straight pipe for exhaust? 14 years ago #7298

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Just cut the tail pipe off in front of the muffler and let er rip. That is what Tom did at Buttonwillow (at the advice of our National Champ. You can ask Tom how that method worked out for him.

I assume you have removed the cat, of course.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx
Last Edit: 14 years ago by Big Dog.

Re:straight pipe for exhaust? 14 years ago #7303

oliver runs an open pipe and has not had any problems yet..., but he hates it ,it's just too loud . maybe replace the heavy stock one for a low cost light weight muffler

Re:straight pipe for exhaust? 14 years ago #7304

I have both a stock muffler and proper straight pipe. I ran both at Miller one year. Results were poor. I was slower with straight pipe. I was not a hp thing, but due to the sound I found it harder to modulate the throttle in the turns. That resulted in slower lap times. I felt zero gain in power. So I went back to the stock muffler.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:straight pipe for exhaust? 14 years ago #7306

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
I run a cheap 2 1/2" bullit muffler in the stock location. Loud enough I can hear my car but not too loud and light.

Re:straight pipe for exhaust? 14 years ago #7311

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
I have a supertrapp muffler in the stock location, the core finally rusted out so I pulled it out and now it is just a megaphone (superCrap?) Its a little loud and obnoxious, I'd rather have a stock muffler, but I'm cheap, or lazy, I'm not sure which...
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds