Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Cheap camera mount
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Cheap camera mount

Cheap camera mount 16 years ago #902

Being a rehabilitated drummer with a low racing budget, I had an idea for a cheap camera mount. Clamps like the one in the pic are easy to find for around $20, and almost all of them are made for 1.5" tubing. I plan on using one of these, with the top of an old tripod (tube sawed short) to mount a camera to my roll cage. Google "drum rack clamp" and you'll find a zillion of these, with different angle adjustments and such. I couldn't see paying $90 and up for a camera mount. I'll be picking one up this weekend and will let you know how it works out.

Re:Cheap camera mount 16 years ago #904

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
We just used a small piece of metal, L shaped that we bolted to the rearview mirror bracket. Cost $0. Did not notice any vibrations. Our problem was with the camera/batteries/operater.

Re:Cheap camera mount 16 years ago #905

944cer wrote:
We just used a small piece of metal, L shaped that we bolted to the rearview mirror bracket. Cost $0. Did not notice any vibrations. Our problem was with the camera/batteries/operater.

I prefer seeing video that has been shot from right up front, or even better the roof, but figure I might be able to improve my driving if the camera is mounted behind me, so I can see my mistakes. Of course, I can always claim that someone else was borrowing the car if it's real bad

Re:Cheap camera mount 16 years ago #906

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
cullenwinter wrote:
944cer wrote:

I prefer seeing video that has been shot from right up front, or even better the roof, but figure I might be able to improve my driving if the camera is mounted behind me, so I can see my mistakes. Of course, I can always claim that someone else was borrowing the car if it's real bad

Yeah, the roof is my favorite, except that it makes the car in front of you look like it's further away than it really is... especially if you have a ChaseCam, which comes with a wide angle lense. I'll be mounting my Aiptek high-def cam inside the car, preferably on the roll cage behind me... if I record in high-def mode, I can just digitally zoom in on the windshield later if I want to, and still have a DVD quality picture.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video

Re:Cheap camera mount 16 years ago #919

Phase one complete. I got a broken tripod from our local second hand store for $2 and an $.08 nut to fix it. Picking up the clamp tomorrow. I'm thinking a nice strong nylon hockey skate lace ought to work for a tether.

Re:Cheap camera mount 16 years ago #931

Sha-freakin'-Zam !! It works like a charm.

edit: I think I'll replace the plastic adjustment handle with a machine screw. I don't like the way that thing sticks out.

Last Edit: 16 years ago by cullenwinter.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds