Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

NEW CAR BUILD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: NEW CAR BUILD

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9715

If you choose to run hood pins please make sure you have system to ensure they are latched. By that I mean some sort of tag in the car to remember to latch them. I have seen times when guys forget to latch them take out their hood and windshield.

I have seen this less frequently than issues with stock latches.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9717

• many944s
  • Junior Racer
This is a very good point!! We actually had the hood on the rental car fly up in a race, even with the pit controller checking every car that went past. For this reason alone part of our trackside support package is to walk the grid before every race to check the hoodpins, window nets, cameras etc. on all of our cars!!
-Nick

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9719

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Well, after looking at the places to mount hood pins, I think I've come up with a plan. I don't have the hood installed. I just got it out today and set to the side, so this plan is not set in concrete. If I mount a plate of aluminum here......

PIC_8606.JPG

One pin can take care of the hood. One in back should take care of the hatch. I thought about using these........

NOK911_01_3.jpg

But what about the hatch?? I could use Eric's idea and use these

486531975_yR2aM-M.jpg

486532224_AgX3G-M.jpg

But then I saw this.......

ani3.gif

The AeroCatch can be mounted sideways in the rear to take care of the hatch too. One set of 2, will take care of the hood and hatch.
I know they arn't cheap, but they look much better and seem safer the the regular hood pins.

Well, that's the plan for the hood/hatch pins unless I or someone else comes up with a better one.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9720

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Parts came in today...........

PIC_8556.JPG

I jumped right in and started with the thermostat. A little dab of vaseline holds the rubber o-ring in place.

PIC_8561.JPG

PIC_8564.JPG

PIC_8578.JPG

I started to install the radiator hoses and found that they rub in some places. I guess that rubbing is normal? So to add some protection, I used the anti-squeel pads that are supplied with most brake pads. They are the peal and stick kind.

PIC_8585.JPG

I marked where the hoses were rubbing or very close to rubbing and stuck it on the hose. I used some electrical tape to make sure it stayed in palce. I did this in several spots.

PIC_8588.JPG

No matter how many hose clamps you have, you always need 1 that you don't have.

PIC_8616.JPG

It should hold water now.

PIC_8601.JPG

Exhaust header welding, hose clamps, windshield, sway bar ends, t-stat, hoses and hose clamps....$203.79
Total cost of build so far......$5957.31
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9721

if the fan rubs the large hose between the water pump and radiator it is for 2 possible reasons.

1) you have the wrong hose. The early and late car use a slightly different hose and if you use the wrong one it the fan will rub it.

2) you need to sort of twist the hose at the clamps to pull it away from the fan.

Installed right using stock parts there is no rubbing. However I have seen many hoses rub and cut causing problems. Rub shield is only a band-aid as that will damage the fan blades. Better than chewing up the hose and overheating, but not proper fix either.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9722

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
RacerX wrote:
But then I saw this.......

ani3.gif

The AeroCatch can be mounted sideways in the rear to take care of the hatch too. One set of 2, will take care of the hood and hatch.
I know they arn't cheap, but they look much better and seem safer the the regular hood pins.

Well, that's the plan for the hood/hatch pins unless I or someone else comes up with a better one.

I saw these in use recently (on a car where I bought my seat). Looked good. He liked them...they give a visual indication of not being latched. One thing he mentioned was that they have a limitation on how much angle they can be used (I am assuming from perpendicular to the pin).
They were pretty sweet.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds