hawks blue & rear brake bias
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: hawks blue & rear brake bias

hawks blue & rear brake bias 16 years ago #918

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Hi,

For those that run Hawk's Blue on all four wheels. On high speed hard braking applications, the back straight of Thunderhill going into Turn 14 as a example, do you notice the the rear grabs more than they should? i.e.- if a brake bias value was legal in 944-SPEC you would want to dial the rear brakes back a notch.
A couple of our guys also noticed this.
I'm using Blues in the front and HT10's in the rear. The Thunderbolt car was also changed out to this configuration.
I like to hear from other folks that are using Hawks Blue all around and if they experience this.

Thanks!
--Ken

Re:hawks blue & rear brake bias 16 years ago #920

I do find that the Blues leave the car with a bit more rear brake bias than is ideal (though not bad). I tried going to HP+ pads in the rear to help, but then the fronts had much better initial bite than the rears, and the car was more unbalanced. I also ran HT-10's all around, but they started to chunk in the front. I have not tried the Blue front, HT-10 rear combo. I thougth the HT-10' s were more aggressive than the Blues though???
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:hawks blue & rear brake bias 16 years ago #922

I run the blues front and back ... I think I like them.

Re:hawks blue & rear brake bias 16 years ago #923

Have you checked your rear toe?

The cars will have the rear of the car toe out under heavy braking. It will make the car less stable in high speed braking. Putting some static toe in will help alot.

I have run Hawk Blues front and rear for years. The rear has always feel good and never any rear lock up. I change rear pads every 3 seasons or so.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:hawks blue & rear brake bias 16 years ago #924

pixrken wrote:
Hi,

For those that run Hawk's Blue on all four wheels. On high speed hard braking applications, the back straight of Thunderhill going into Turn 14 as a example, do you notice the the rear grabs more than they should? i.e.- if a brake bias value was legal in 944-SPEC you would want to dial the rear brakes back a notch.
A couple of our guys also noticed this.
I'm using Blues in the front and HT10's in the rear. The Thunderbolt car was also changed out to this configuration.
I like to hear from other folks that are using Hawks Blue all around and if they experience this.

Thanks!

Actually Ken, the rear pads are the Hawk HP Plus, not the HT10's.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics

Re:hawks blue & rear brake bias 16 years ago #927

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Litespeeds wrote:

Actually Ken, the rear pads are the Hawk HP Plus, not the HT10's.

Thanks! My confusion since you're the one who ordered them for me.
For more than 90% of our turns the Hawks Blue on all fours works very well. This is to address a few turns where there is a big delta in speed (Turn 14 at Thunderhill, Turn 11 at Infineon) where the rears are grabbing too much.

Joe brought up a good point about the rear toe and something I'll check for.
--Ken
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds