Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Another Texas build project started
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Another Texas build project started

Another Texas build project started 13 years, 2 months ago #9573

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
Well, after sitting on the project for some time, I am finally beginning to start working on the car. Garage got cleaned out just in time for bad weather here in TX and the 944 got moved inside and is up on jack stands (finally!)

The project is based on a 1987 944 that I picked up locally for $1300. (not the $500 83 I initially looked at that I put my hand through the floor pan at the tunnel).
The 87 came with a long 5th/open diff transaxle. Is Nautic Blue, but needs some paint...which I planned on anyway.

It had a cone filter, but I am replacing it with the stock set up that I picked up for $25.
I have been sourcing parts/spares, looking for bargains along the way, as the car sat lonely in the back yard.

So far, I have picked up:
951 Oil Cooler adapter ($100)
Setrab 915 Oil Cooler -12AN
5in 19row -10AN Oil Cooler (transaxle)
Electric Transaxle cooler pump (Spur gear)
Stainless lines for oil cooler and trans cooler
New water pump
NRG 2.5 quick release (car came with aftermarket steering wheel and adapter) ($110)
Wired transponder ($200)
8 extra phone dials ($300/set)
4 15x6 phone dials for transport wheels ($85)
Stock belly pan ($35)
Coolshirt Cooler/Mount/new FC-1 Controller ($160)
Goodridge Stainless brake lines ($120)
KLA Strut brace, Rennbay deluxe fuel line kit, Ground Control Camber plates ($200)
Front engine seals ($85)
New turbo Radiator ($275)
Short 5th transaxle
Timing belt kit ($185)
Stock tube headers ($50)
Throttle cam ($10)
Stage 8 CV bolts ($75)
Aftermarket A/C delete bracket ($75)
Ultrashield Lightweight Halo RR aluminum seat/mounts/back brace ($420)
New set of stock rings ($90) – just in case
Spare DME
Spare rebuildable motor ($125)
3qt Accusump with EPC ($320)
New Throw out bearing ($60)
L&R Spare aluminum control arms ($100)
Rennbay Ball Joint rebuild kit
Engine harness connectors kit ($50)
Simspon nomex shifterboot ($25)
ARP Rod Bolts ($60) – may sell and use stock due to rules
Went ahead and picked up 3 lexan windshields from racingmetal (thanks Eric!) ($100)
Lexan Qtr windows
Accusump with EPC valve($325)
New throwout bearing ($51)
Bursch Test Pipe (200)
Spare 87 motor for rebuild ($125)
Brembo OEM front rotors ($70)
450# Eibach Springs ($60)
New front and rear Konis ($400)
New SAW 31mm Hollow Torsion Bars ($365)
Two new sets of RA1s, shaved ($850)
Short 5th cluster for spare trans ($95)
Duct for brakes ($15)
Lindsey Brake cooling plates ($70)
TraqDash Complete ($1250)
weltmeister front sway with racing adj. ($450)
Weltmeister rear sway ($250)
Paragon coil over kit w/375# springs ($265)
RE delrin - front control, banana arm, lwr torsion
Weltmeister poly spring plate bushings (900)
GlowShift Gauges (Oil Temp, Oil Press, Water Temp, Volt, Wideband w/data, Fuel Press) Autometer procomp Tach ($500)
Schroth Right side net ($95)
Fiberglass dash
Double harness brackets
Cage (Hanksville)
eleventy billion cameras (ok not that many) 2 SJCAMHD cams, 4 Chase cams with 3 PDR100s and 1ss100, 4 other video cams with onboard vehicle DVR
Milspec wiring, LED lights, etc

$9136 total without selling off any parts yet

Still to source:
Clutch
Replacing Rod and Main bearings
ESS Fire system from Apex
Schroth harness
Probably front (maybe rear wheel bearings)

Wish list:
LSD?

I have been working on stripping down the chassis…fenders off, most of the interior is out. Removing old wiring harnesses, old radiator (full of feathers) is out, headlights/taillights temp removed. Removing A/C, power steering rack, swaybars (looks to be a 26mm front) Getting ready to pull the stock dash (planning on modifying/reusing ala racer X – Thanks for the great write up!). I also hope to have the motor out and on a stand soon.

Since it appears I have time on my hands before any next major purchase (suspension upgrades), I am going to work on getting the weight down as much as possible, repair the battery box issue I found, paint the interior/engine bay white, and press on from there.
Looking to engineer the seat mount to keep it low but off the floor, and tie into the sill/tunnel. Looking at the existing floor of the 87, not sure yet how everything will lay out. I may add spacers to pedals to get everything in the right place…will be spending time getting the seat just right. At this point...taking my time until other toys sell.

Getting hit with ice, sleet, and snow again…waiting on BJ to post another video in the parking lot
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks
Last Edit: 8 years, 4 months ago by cgktexas. Reason: update listing

Re: Another Texas build project started 13 years, 2 months ago #9576

Sounds like a good start.

See my post in the general section for the best price on Konis in a while. You want to buy those new as they do wear/blow out.

If you are looking for a cheap Accusump and can find one used, Canton will clean and rebuild pretty cheap. I think it was like ~ $50 all done.

Good luck!

Re: Another Texas build project started 13 years, 2 months ago #9579

Sounds like you got a good, cost-effective start!

Good luck
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Another Texas build project started 13 years, 2 months ago #9581

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
944Racer72 wrote:
Sounds like a good start.

See my post in the general section for the best price on Konis in a while. You want to buy those new as they do wear/blow out.

If you are looking for a cheap Accusump and can find one used, Canton will clean and rebuild pretty cheap. I think it was like ~ $50 all done.

Good luck!

Yeah, the Koni sale is going on through the end of May...plan on new. No sense chasing a handling problem with unknowns in the mix. I have seen some used Accusumps online for cheap...may go that route and have Canton refurb, as long as it is well under what I can get for one new.

I was reading a bunch of threads regarding the accusump and the EPC valve. It looks to me that a lot of folk's understanding of its operation is backwards. The EPC should be set below the normal operating pressure...that way it only kicks in when the prssure is dropping. Saw too many people stating use the 55PSI switch because that is the pressure you need. The pressure comes from the tank, not the switch. To high of a switch setting and I can see the valve just hammering away, trying to flood the engine with oil all the time. I am probably going to go with either their 25PSI switch or rig up a $20 variable switch and set it closer to 30-32 PSI. I think that should get it closer to maintaining pressure through short surges etc. I look at them as some insurance...they are not the oiling system, only a conditioner of sorts.

Sterling Doc wrote:
Sounds like you got a good, cost-effective start!

Good luck

Thanks! I certainly hope so! Bargain hunting can be fun as you know (based on what I read in your budget build thread), it feels pretty good when you find those great deals!
Attachments:
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
Rockwall, TX
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks
Last Edit: 13 years, 2 months ago by cgktexas. Reason: fixing broken link

Re: Another Texas build project started 13 years, 2 months ago #9582

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer

Lightweight Halo Seat by whoomah, on Flickr

Pic of the Ultrashield (with the cover off)
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
Rockwall, TX
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks
Last Edit: 13 years, 2 months ago by cgktexas.

Re: Another Texas build project started 13 years, 2 months ago #9588

My accusump has a manual valve - no worries about discharge pressure; instant oil pressure when you need it. Cheap, simple, and optimum flow.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds