Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Another Texas build project started
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Another Texas build project started

Re: Another Texas build project started 13 years, 2 months ago #9735

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I read all about using xylene so I gave it a try. What a nightmare! The fumes and cleanup mess were not worth the trouble and it seemed I got it out slightly faster with a heat gun and chisel plus some wire wheels with 36 grit sandpaper. A few rattlecans and it looked presentable! I wanted a smoother floor on the drivers side so I made "floormats" out of some diamond plate.

Re: Another Texas build project started 13 years, 2 months ago #9737

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
B1BFlyer wrote:
I'm going to have to give that halogen lamp trick a try. Some of the sound deadener in my car can just be picked off, but I'm all for getting it out of the car as easy as possible...yeah right.

This is what residue left over following the halogen lamp

Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks
Last Edit: 13 years, 2 months ago by cgktexas.

Re: Another Texas build project started 13 years, 2 months ago #9747

• B1BFlyer
  • Senior Racer
Thanks for the pics. I'm not looking forward to the adhesive nightmare, so hopefully the scraper and wire brushes will get the majority of it out so I can minimize my time with the toxic waste.

Ryan
Ryan Peterson
Abilene, TX
924s, #21

Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers.

Re: Another Texas build project started 13 years, 1 month ago #9924

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
Tuesday night is garage night
Planning on dropping the exhaust and transaxle. Most of the interior harness is out except for the wires going back to the tank. May drop that tonight if I have time and pull the rest of the wires. Will be adding weather pack connectors to essential wiring, the rest is on its way out (the harness, currently in a 55 gal bag with weighs a bunch).

Getting ready to sell the front and rear sway bars. I havent measured the rear yet, but the front bar is 26mm. The right bushing was junk...looks like it caught a curb.

pedal assemblies are currently removed and once the rest of the wires are out, will finish cleaning up the residue and paint the interior with some rattle cans.

Cutting off the brackets in the spare wheel well and mounting the accusump there. The EPC valve will be up front in the engine bay.

hoping to get the existing engine out soon and put on the stand to freshen it up. Will send out both heads to get surfaced. Going to look for someone local to do that work as well as crossdrill #2 & #3 on both cranks.

Doors are marked for cutting...probably a weekend project to minimize on night time noise.

I am still debating on how best to make a seat mount for the driver's side (and whether to do the same on the passenger side). The plan is to tie the sill and tunnel and mount to that...possibly with 1/2" x 1" tubing to 1/8" plates. The late model floor is not flat and am a little concerned about cutting too much of the existing mount. examining some pics I have found here for ideas.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
Rockwall, TX
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: Another Texas build project started 13 years, 1 month ago #9925

Are you sure you want to put the Accusump in the spare tire well? That is a lot of oil line to run with a lot of weight and potential mess. Mine is above the radiator. You can see a pic in the Infineon February thread where I wrecked the car and had some panels removed. I'd link to it but I can't see it at work.

By the way, I disagree with Joe on the Accusump point. I think it helps in a few ways. 1. No dry starts. I fire off the Accusump every time before I start the car and have oil pressure before starting. 2. It will protect against short periods of starvation. 3. Major oil leaks will take longer to sacrifice pressure. At Nationals last year, an oil cooler line came loose and I spewed 4 Qts of oil before getting shut down. My Accusump may have saved my engine from losing pressure.
Last Edit: 13 years, 1 month ago by 944Racer72.

Re: Another Texas build project started 13 years, 1 month ago #9930

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
I have seen it done in the back before. With the EPC valve in the engine bay, there are only two connections on the line in the cockpit...at the tank and at a bulkhead fitting.

I will have to see if it would fit ok up front. The one good thing with the EPC valve is that it will have its own switch but getting power from the ignition switch...so in the event there is a problem, killing the ignition will close the valve preventing any further oil flow from the tank.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
Rockwall, TX
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds