(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Just another 87 Spec car build

Just another 87 Spec car build 13 years, 1 month ago #9957

DSCN4896.JPG

DSCN4894.JPG

DSCN4889.JPG

DSCN4901.JPG

DSCN4903.JPG

Ok so i was told that i could not use my turbo tub for a spec car build, but i was determined to stick w/ a late chassis. Came across this on Craigslist and decided to buy it and get some cash back from some of the aftermarket parts on the car. It also came w/ some factory 15's besides the D90 wheels on it. Then im trading the rear lower turbo valance for another set of late 15's from my brother in law who swapped wheels on his S. Right now im in the collecting phase and after the turbo is parted i'll start ripping into her. Just picked up my 88 motor tonite from a friend down the street- he's been hoarding this for some time.
"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting."

Follow my blog at danj944spec.wordpress.com/
Last Edit: 13 years ago by xsboost90.

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 13 years, 1 month ago #9958

That is one nice looking donor. The Great Lakes region is really rockin'! Going to bring out the Dragon car for some DE's while your Spec car is in the build?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 13 years, 1 month ago #9962

Fest10.jpg

you know it !

Last Edit: 13 years ago by xsboost90.

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 13 years, 1 month ago #10006

so im making a list of what i need to build the car. First on the list is the cage. Now i have a guy who built the dragon cage and did a great job, but he is quite busy. Im looking at www.hanksvillehotrods.com and they build 944spec cages that look awsome. Then i can weld it together myself! Prob. about 1400 for the cage itself.

also on the list...

parts to build the new motor...
bearings/seals/etc..

6pt harness-since mine is too old
seat back brace
window net and center net
fire system or just an extinguisher?
tires- where is the best place to buy RA1s?
brake pads- lindseyracing.com has them for 120 a set
brake lines
350lb coil springs.
battery disconnect- i know you need one but does it need to be in a specific place?
paint...
maybe a light weight battery but that can come later
suspension bushings
torsion bars
front wheel bearings -rears are new
new rotors

------i have seats, front shocks/coilovers/strutbrace/wheel/removable wheel hub/a car.
Attachments:

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 13 years, 1 month ago #10007

Nick at Bennington has most of all this stuff, and can do the cage for you. He did mine, TIG welded, at a very competitive price. He may be swamped at this time of year, however! You can't go wrong with a Hanksville cage as well if you can weld really well. Tires are wherever you can find them, Nick, Frisbee Race Tire, Havoc, AIM. Apex and OG racing has the safety stuff. Fire system highly recommended.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 13 years, 1 month ago #10016

• many944s
  • Junior Racer
Thanks for the vote Eric!
We are fairly busy being "crunch time" and all! I don't know if we could squeeze another full cage job in before the beginning of the season, though we might be able to crank out a "self install" cage if need be.

-Nick Miller
Bennington Motorsports
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds