Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Just another 87 Spec car build
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Just another 87 Spec car build

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 13 years, 1 month ago #10524

so friday night i officially started pulling the new car apart. Got the full interior stripped out and pulled the soaking wet matting out from under the carpet- guess i need to search for the leak- prob. the battery box.

DSCN4953.JPG

Now to get to work removing the nasty glue and stuff from the floor of the car. Havent tried anything yet.
DSCN4954.JPG

Love looking at all the new stuff sitting on the roof but i guess its about time to start installing things. I have the Hanksville cage in crates still sitting in the garage and eight late offset phonedials stacked up in the corner. Just ordered some RA1's from treadzone.com since i never heard back from the last place.
DSCN4957.JPG

DSCN4956.JPG

found some rust on my lower rocker in front of the ds rear wheel- guess i'll be doing some welding while im at it.
DSCN4963.JPG
"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting."

Follow my blog at danj944spec.wordpress.com/

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 13 years, 1 month ago #10526

• seafeye
  • Senior Racer
Xlene works about as good as you are going to get for removing the glue crap.
It's really bad stuff so wear a respirator. Better yet do what i do and pay the teenager next door to do the scraping while you sit back and drink beer.

www.google.com/products/catalog?q=xylene...amp;ved=0CGUQ8wIwAA#

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 13 years, 1 month ago #10527

got some of the tar crap up today- the rear pieces popped right up since the water had soaked it. Front is tough- time for a power tool.

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 13 years ago #10546

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I took an air chisel and ground a tip down to resemble a wood chisel and set to work on the black stuff. It worked great on flat surfaces. The remaining residue is MUCH easier to work on and get out without having to resort to the toxic chemical bath I used on the first car.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 13 years ago #10606

i ended up using my torch and browning the insulation like a marshmellow. Then it scraped right off no problem. All insulation removed in two hours- well two of us working. Then i used laquer thinner and scrubbed the rest off.

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 13 years ago #10621

ok so now that the interior is about ready for primer it was time to unpack my Hanksville rollbar and start thinking about how everything is going to go together. The other day i pulled the HVAC out and after driving my other 944 race car in the rain w/ no defrost ive learned my lesson. I started by pulling the heater core from the hvac box and checking it out, and i thought about using it in a custom enclosure. Then i thought that perhaps if i just use a blower and direct outside air onto the windshield it may not need actual heat, just to keep the fog off. I gutted all the vac. stuff off the factory blower and reassembled it. I put it back into the firewall and now im going to give my design to a local metal shop to build a box that bolts up under the dash and direct air into the factory defrost vent that attaches to the bottom of the factory dash. Since im making a fiberglass replica of the stock dash, i can attach this to the dash and cut some slots in the dash like the original. I am also going to put a drain in the bottom in case it gets moisture etc in there.

DSCN4966.JPG

DSCN4970.JPG

DSCN4973.JPG

DSCN4975.JPG

DSCN4976.JPG

Last Edit: 13 years ago by xsboost90.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds