Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Just another 87 Spec car build
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Just another 87 Spec car build

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 12 years, 12 months ago #10869

so i need to get this interior together so i can work on important stuff. I decided that one way or another the inside of the doors was getting sprayed tonite. Started by welding the tabs to the door bars for the door handles. Just cut some plate up and welded it to the impact bar at the appropriate length. I'll drill and tap them later.

Then i sanded the inside of the doors the rest of the way, tried to smooth out the rough edges from cutting the doors out -which will be covered by a piece of trim eventually- and scrubbed it all down w/ laquer thinner. I decided not to primer due to time restraints. Sprayed a few coats of white on there after taping the whole car up, and then one coat of clear. Not bad for a race car. Got a few runs due to temp and no primer but since its white they are not real noticable. As Alan says "its a race car!!"

DSCN5061.JPG

DSCN5062.JPG

DSCN5064.JPG
"Racing is life. Everything before and after is just waiting."

Follow my blog at danj944spec.wordpress.com/

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 12 years, 11 months ago #10885

decided to install my door handles inside last night. Drilled and tapped the holes for the handles into the mounts i welded on and realized that i didnt make the mounts long enough for the white plastic cable brakets to mount to! Fabbed up some extention brakets and bolted those on , then sprayed the burgundy handles black real quick and installed everything. Not bad. Stuck some US Race Gear stickers on there as well - she needed some color on the inside.

DSCN5066.JPG

DSCN5067.JPG

DSCN5068.JPG

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 12 years, 11 months ago #10886

started working on the fire suppression system tonite. Got the bottle mounted and routed the lines that are in the car. Ran one through the firewall in a hole that already exhisted by the battery and the other goes in front of the shifter for the driver w/ the head mounted on top. I drilled a hole in the center of my switch panel and ran the cable to the bottle. I used up the aluminum 1/4" line that came w/ the bottle so i ran to home depot and picked up some copper line for under the hood. Guess i'll have to spray paint it silver or something.

DSCN5069.JPG

DSCN5070.JPG

DSCN5072.JPG

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 12 years, 11 months ago #10890

Dan, this is really coming along nicely. It looks like you are getting close - what's the estimated debut for the new car?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 12 years, 11 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 12 years, 11 months ago #10891

well i dont think i'll make any races this year. We'll see. I still have alot of work to do and a couple races in the Chumpcar, so time and finances may keep me out till next year. I'll have to get the car done, then shake it down at a de or something, then get my comp license and then start racing. Im sure Sammy will try to talk me into getting it out early though.

Got my drivers seat in yesterday w/ the harnesses. Buckled my self in for the first time and everything feels great. Cant wait to get this thing going.

Re: Just another 87 Spec car build 12 years, 11 months ago #10892

I'll twist one arm, while Sam twists the other
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds