season points for 2008 and race drops
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA Rocky Mountain Region

www.nasarockymountain.com/

TOPIC: season points for 2008 and race drops

Re:season points for 2008 and race drops 16 years, 2 months ago #249

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
[Politician Voice]I'm a Noob, and I approve & agree with Cullen's message[/Politician Voice]
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director

Re:season points for 2008 and race drops 16 years, 2 months ago #250

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
I agree that selling points with a car goes a little far (and gives new meaning to the term ‘buying a championship’). A car with a successful track history can usually be listed for a higher price, anyway, without the added incentive of buying the accumulated points along with it. I don’t know about anybody else, but I’d feel more than a little shady if I ended up with a championship because I bought somebody else’s points.

I think a team championship might be a good idea, assuming the presence of enough teams to make it a meaningful goal. Also, I agree with Weston that 2 drivers sharing a car during the season is what NASA’s car-sharing definition of the ‘two drivers, one car’ team concept is for (although now we’ve got multiple definitions of the word ‘team’).

Also, I have a quick question about drops: does this apply only to your lowest actual finishes, or does it also apply to weekends that you don’t race? For example, if I miss 2 weekends, can I use those as my drops, or would I have to apply the drops to weekends that I actually raced?
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec

Re:season points for 2008 and race drops 16 years, 2 months ago #252

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
cullenwinter wrote:

A Team championship would only make sense if there are 3 or more "teams". Maybe more teams could form from us other drivers, but team strategies don't really seem to have a place in this race class.

I agree that we would need at least 3 teams in order for it to be worth doing. I think we can get that though. As for team strategies, I understand what you're saying, and that's something I've been thinking about a lot lately... Having a team points championship would make it obvious that some team strategy may be in use, but I don't think that really changes much, other than perception. Considering the size of our class, and some clear alliances that we already have within our group, team strategy is going to be involved either way.

GaryM05 wrote:

Also, I have a quick question about drops: does this apply only to your lowest actual finishes, or does it also apply to weekends that you don’t race? For example, if I miss 2 weekends, can I use those as my drops, or would I have to apply the drops to weekends that I actually raced?

If we have 14 points races in a season and 4 drops, then it's your best 10 that get counted towards the season championship. Any races you miss are counted as zeros and would automatically be dropped, unless you miss more than 4 races. I was going to point to our 2007 season results as an example, but apparently that's gone missing (the link just goes to the individual race results now).
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video

Re:season points for 2008 and race drops 16 years, 2 months ago #254

I think that a driver earns points, not a car. Unless of course, the car is part of an officially registered team, which I don't think we have in 944 Spec.

As for drops, 4 works for me the way the schedule is now. I think we may have to adjust that number if we get more or less events at the end of the year.
David Wright
#96 944 Spec
NASA Rocky Mountain HPDE 2 Group Leader

Re:season points for 2008 and race drops 16 years, 2 months ago #257

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
IMO, 4 drops ok, no points with car sale, having a team championship will be a great way to get people involved if they can or feel that they can only compete with multiple people involved in running a car in our series.
Lee
Chuck,
Thanks for asking about this stuff and not telling us how it will be.

Re:season points for 2008 and race drops 16 years, 2 months ago #259

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
944cer wrote:
Chuck,
Thanks for asking about this stuff and not telling us how it will be.

+1. Chuck - Thanks for asking for input on these things. That makes it feel like more of a group effort that we all have ownership in (whether that's a good thing or a bad thing remains to be seen.)
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec
Moderators: SvoChuck, dmdirks
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds