Username Password: Remember me

Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 11 months ago #14361

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
Ken, you been watching too much X-Files!

If you going to rebuild your motor, you can make it hit the cap w/o all that trouble. If your dyno meets the cap, but looks like an outlier TQ curve wise, it would give us cause to take a closer look.

What, how'd you know about the X rated video??????
I'm just sayin', you know what I maean. It doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you get there and that might open up a can of worms down the road.
I'm happy for the numbers and all for the cap, it gives me something to shoot for when I start rebuilding later this fall.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 11 months ago #14366

Just found out about this thread. A year ago, the only time my current engine was dynoed, the numbers were 128, 130 and 131. I would be delighted if I had 138.

There is already a rule for minimum head thickness and max compression ratio. The dyno is not a precise way to measure.

So what happens next year when the front runners still beat everyone? Another new rule?
Jim Richmond
Capt Squid

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 11 months ago #14367

I've read every post and every detail. I am for the 138 cap. My car was #1 on the dyno in region this year and yes, driver is large factor. Weight did have an impact to me, but I'm willing to move on from that one.

This is about balancing perception and costs and growth. Am I willing to sacrifice my HP advantage for the betterment of the whole class? Yes. Everybody needs to be a little unhappy for the good of all.

We go with 138, I'll be at Nationals too (sleeping in the back of the truck eating cheese sandwiches dreaming of avoiding DFL finishes).

Details need to be worked out, sure.

Let's not slam the door behind us on the next people trying to enter or needlessly hurt those already here. However this class has evolved - the rules need to keep up. We're all human, so we try something and if we get it wrong we forgive and try again. The fear of a mistake shouldn't prevent us from trying.

Add another to the 'yay' column for 138 cap.

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 11 months ago #14369

capt squid wrote:
Just found out about this thread. A year ago, the only time my current engine was dynoed, the numbers were 128, 130 and 131. I would be delighted if I had 138.

There is already a rule for minimum head thickness and max compression ratio. The dyno is not a precise way to measure.

So what happens next year when the front runners still beat everyone? Another new rule?

Then everyone knows they did it through their driving. If this rule were about changing finishing order, we'd put REWARDS weight in. It's driven by keeping to the spirit rules, and keeping the class accessible for all. Being >10 HP down from the top motors may not bother you, but the consensus is that it bothers most. I do appreciate you (and all) voicing their opinion, but I did want to address your concerns.

BTW, with a tune up (plugs, wires, check AFM, etc.) a little tuning, and a modified collector, you could have close to 138, for very little money.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 11 months ago #14370

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Eric - you mentioned the modified collector from Hanksville and its been referenced a couple of times. Can you give more details ? I couldn't find anything on his website
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 11 months ago #14372

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
Jerry - Hank sent me an e-mail with a product description and pictures. I'll post it up in another thread.
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds