Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2017 Rules Proposal Thread
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread

2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21159

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
Ok boys and girls, the time has come for us to propose/discuss/debate any proposed rules for the 2017 season.
NASA is already pressuring me to have the rules wrapped up in an unrealistic time, but we WILL need to expedite this this year. Let's try to keep this constructive. If you have an idea, please post it up on the thread, voice your reasons, and be prepared to have them dashed or supported. I will read all comments and hear all reasoning. I will ONLY do this here- no phone calls please. Emails are ok, but THIS is where we go to discuss rules. PLEASE keep this civil- I dont want any huge arguments to spin out of control. Lets all be grown ups, and keep this friendly.
Please remember, only rules that will increase reliability, or performance WITHOUT significant spending or changes will be considered. Remember EVERY change effects not only cars in your region, but EVERY car in the country running under these rules. I wont consider anything that cannot be quickly or easily done to EVERY car in the country competing (this is about 175 cars nationally). My main goal is to keep our cars as reliable and competitive as possible, without spending lots of money.

Ready?

Set.

GO!
The topic has been locked.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21161

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
I am keeping my popcorn in the cupboard this year and hoping for a drama free rule change season!
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21162

• Manuel_M
  • Junior Racer
Clearly I’m a have not when it comes to the below so here we go:

88 Pistons:
Issue – These have become extremely scarce, I have seen 1 or 2 sets for sale on the interwebs in the last 12 months. Other than buying an entire car (which is not cost effective) these are hard to come by. The power numbers can be made with low compression pistons; however more work, time, and money are required. Additionally, even though you may hit the total number; the HP and TQ may not be evenly distributed and the timing may be different compared to just using high CR pistons. I feel as though I am building a suboptimal product in comparison just because a specific part is rare.

Solution 1 – Designate one aftermarket piston as spec that will be sustainable. Either have 10.2 commissioned or allow wossner 10.6. Over time as engines are rebuilt most competitors will gravitate to the new pistons. Follow the same rules of using a restrictor plate to max at 138 (+2). That being said, having a company supply 10.2CR pistons would be preferred. Cost difference would not be significant (e.g. 88 pistons: ~$300, new aftermarket pistons ~$600, getting a low compression engine to 140 with dyno time and tail chasing in parts $$$$).

Solution 2 – Someone who has a set sell them to me

-Manny
Last Edit: 7 years, 5 months ago by Manuel_M.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21163

• dpRacing Dan
Manny this is something I've definitely been considering thinking about the long-term of the class. In the meantime, Michael Dearstyne and I are still finding 88 motors regularly. There is a guy in Ohio or Indiana uses the name "Plyhammer". He sells stuff on Craigslist, I think Rennlist, and elsewhere. Otherwise, contact Mike via Facebook and I'm sure he can sell you a set.
I will be looking into this during 2017 and talking with some companies. The only downside to this would be that by allowing aftermarket pistons we would be then forced to check the legality of said parts, meaning more tear-downs in post-race inspections, espcially at Nats.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21164

• dpRacing Dan
@ Stanley-LOL!
Last Edit: 7 years, 5 months ago by dpRacing Dan.

Re: 2017 Rules Proposal Thread 7 years, 5 months ago #21165

• Manuel_M
  • Junior Racer
Thanks Dan, I know it is something that will take some leg work as far as ensuring any aftermarket pistons would be to spec/compatible with the class. I’m on Plyhammer’s site every so often, on Rennlist classifieds a few nights a week, and have an ebay alert set up but for as long as I’ve been looking, it has been unsuccessful. I’ll contact Mike and give that a try!
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds