Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rules change discussion timeline
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rules change discussion timeline

Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5681

Ok guys,
I will give till the end of this month (Sept 30th) for you to submit rule change proposals. They don't need to be super formal, but something I can work with. I will scan what has been posted here or you can send me something via email. I will not share who proposed the change.

Once I gather these I will start posting here formal versions of those changes for review comment. We will not vote on them since not everyone will visit here and one good logical argument can outweigh a number of simple votes.

Do remember that in general the goal is as few changes as possible. Anything that adds any new part or capability to the cars will be discouraged. So if you want it, you better provide a darn good reason or else will will default to Champion Charile's favorite phrase... No New Rules!

Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 14 years, 7 months ago by joepaluch.

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5682

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Thanks, Joe. Here are my requests, mostly clarifications and rules tightening...

- Formally legalize stock-equivalent aftermarket repair parts, making it clear that they must perform the same as stock and have approximately the same weight. New Porsche parts for our 25 year old cars can be very expensive, if they're even available at all. Obviously, we don't want open a can of worms by allowing this for things like pistons, DME's, etc. But there is a need for it for cylinder head valves, fuel lines (including the Lindsey Racing kit), vacuum lines, starters (must be no heavier than the early starter), electrical components (excluding DME, and maybe ignition coil too), and so on.

- Maximum 93 octane gasoline. We don't want the perception that you have to run $7/gal fuel in our class, nor do we want the problem of people who find ways to increase cylinder pressure beyond what the rules intended. There's no reason that a legal engine shouldn't be able to run well on typical premium pump gas. Allow ethanol in typical commercially available concentrations (10% maximum), but not something like E85 fuel.

- Clarify that it's legal to cut out the back of the fog light buckets to provide air for an oil cooler or other purpose.

- Allow the power steering reservoir bracket to be removed. It weighs nothing and just gets in the way and cuts you when working with the header or oil filter, so a few of us removed it under our old rule that encouraged changes that improve access.

- Balance shafts and belt must be installed and functional.

- Alternator and belt must be installed and functional.

- Clarify that aftermarket A/C delete brackets are allowed. The low-cost method that Ken posted works great, but the more expensive aftermarket brackets provide a weight balance advantage by positioning the alternator lower. I believe they are knock-offs of an OEM A/C delete bracket, but they aren't the same, so it's currently a gray area. A lot of people already have those, and I'd like to just weld up my own cheaper version of that. Maybe there should be some limit on how low we're allowed to put the alternator?
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video
Last Edit: 14 years, 7 months ago by Weston.

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5684

Good ideas,
of all them only the fuel is real rules change. The rest are just clarifications on what is alreay accepted. Good idea to address them and make sure they are clear. That sort of thing is good for everone.

On the fuel... We don't get pump gas at 93 octane in Az. Same for california. We only get 91 at the pump. All the rest are race gas formulations. Something to consider.

I will probably break out the proposals in to two 3 catagories for purposes of discussion/debate.
1) Safety
2) Clarificaitons of exisiting practice
3) Rules changes
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5687

Weston wrote:

- Allow the power steering reservoir bracket to be removed. It weighs nothing and just gets in the way and cuts you when working with the header or oil filter, so a few of us removed it under our old rule that encouraged changes that improve access.

Weston, great ideas. I think this one is already covered under 16.2.7 Unused wiring, brackets, nuts bolts and studs may be removed. At least, I read this that you could remove that bracket since it is now unused.
David Wright
#96 944 Spec
NASA Rocky Mountain HPDE 2 Group Leader

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5688

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Thanks. Yeah, we only get 91 up here in Denver too. There are a few stations that allegedly sell 93, but they are rare and typically some run-down old independent station that you wouldn't want to buy fuel from anyway. I just didn't want to exclude areas that may normally get better than 91.

944 Pics & Video

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5689

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
AvantAddict wrote:
Weston wrote:

Weston, great ideas. I think this one is already covered under 16.2.7 Unused wiring, brackets, nuts bolts and studs may be removed. At least, I read this that you could remove that bracket since it is now unused.

Good catch. I suppose this could be a point for clarification... Unbolting unused brackets is fair game, but do we want to draw a line when it comes to cutting stuff off of the car? The power steering one is welded on. I'll have to take another look at my car and think about any that could be advantageous to cut off...

944 Pics & Video
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds