Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rules change discussion timeline
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rules change discussion timeline

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5704

• rlofgren
  • Seasoned Racer
i can confirm no ps reservoir bracket on my 83, build date 3/82, no evidence there ever was one, in fact there is a big emissions sticker right there.
944-SPEC #30 Norcal 2010 Champion
944-SPEC #23 non sunroof
1990 944 S2 street
2003 Mini Cooper S
Lofgren Construction
leafbranch.com/

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5706

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
I have an 82 build date early 83 model and mine did not come with the p/s reservoir bracket either.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5715

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Well I would like to be able to continue to use my Bilstein shocks. Which of course falls under a no new rule catagory.

I also think going to the 205 tire is a bad choice. It will wear faster, be less grippy and most likely slower. I do have first hand experience with this situation since I ran a spec class (Pro7) many years ago that allowed two different size TOYO RA-1 tires (185 vs 205). The 185 was faster at Willow Springs the 205 was the tire of choice for all other So-Cal tracks. This meant you had to have additional sets of wheels and tires.

I think rules clarification is needed in some of the areas listed above like air ducts, eliminating cooling fans, jack plates.

Fuel will be very difficult to monitor. But agree that attempting to limit it to Pump gas is a good way to go. Just don't see how we can enforce it.

Stating that the balance shafts and belt need to be present is a good one. I ran my car for over a year without them in the POC with no ill effect. I did run them at nationals and knew they were required once I got clarification from Chuck earlier this year.

The one thing that I feel may need to be addressed is allowing a bronze cup for the front ball joint. The plastic ones wear pretty fast if you are curb hopping.

Other than that "NO NEW RULES"
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5716

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
jaje wrote:
I have an 82 build date early 83 model and mine did not come with the p/s reservoir bracket either.

Weird... Mine was an October '82 build date '83 model with the manual rack, and it did come with the bracket, which I've since cut off.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5717

cbuzzetti wrote:
Well I would like to be able to continue to use my Bilstein shocks. Which of course falls under a no new rule catagory.

I have no strong desire to get rid of the bilsteins. I might be cleaner to just run Koni's, but unless we get some sort of mondo sponsorship from Koni for being spec Koni I can't say it will make the racing any better.

If we do get some Koni sponsorship.... We we will deal with the Bilsteins at that time. So far I have no evidence to support it we have any deals lined up, but I would welcome a deal to get some real sponsorship for the class. Given how limited the prep is Koni's are about the only thing we could do for sponsor.

So for now don't worry, but like I said we have an offer things change. I hope that you can apperciate that.

As for the balance shafts.. Well I figure since that it never said you could remove them is clear you had to run them. Still it is easy enough to put that rules clearly.

The bronze cups in the front ball joints. Well per the curent rules you may replace steel with steel. How much plastic is in the stock Aluminum arm Ball joints? I don't know since I have never taken one apart.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 14 years, 7 months ago by joepaluch.

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5718

I have since come to accept the fact that we will stick with the same tire for next year, and other than some simple clarifications, I am with Charlie in the "NO NEW RULES" dept. However, I do have to disagree with him on the Bilsteins, we need to be on one shock. Heck, I am sure we can all chip in to buy him some Koni's if he doesn't want to use the $19.95 he won at Nationals.
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds