TOPIC: Rules change discussion timeline

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5727

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
jaje wrote:
Weston wrote:
jaje wrote:
I have an 82 build date early 83 model and mine did not come with the p/s reservoir bracket either.

Weird... Mine was an October '82 build date '83 model with the manual rack, and it did come with the bracket, which I've since cut off.
Really...that's weird b/c the other '83 I've seen didn't have it either. Was P/S an option on early '83s? P/S wasn't standard 944 equipment until ~ '84 but then customers could order a 944 with a p/s delete option.

I think it was an option in '83, but my option codes didn't indicate that my car came with it, and there was no evidence of PS ever being installed. I had always found it weird that I got the bracket.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5728

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Regarding pump gas, does anyone think that using pure race gas (of any grade) or a combination of race gas and street gas really makes more power? I am of the opinion, based on dyno work, that it does not.

There are times when I use 91 (5 gals.)and race gas 1 or 2 gals. depending on how hot the day is) blended to be sure I don't have problems after destroying an engine because of detonation. Most of the time I just use 91 and when I blend, I use whatever race gas is available at the track. I don't buy and bring some exotic brew.

I can see banning exotic fuel additives if they might give an advantage but why worry about race gas that comes from the pumps at a track?

I think that the fuel issue is a perception thing and not a real thing, based on my dyno work with our cars.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5729

Sterling Doc wrote:
This is what I meant, but much better stated - I vote yes!
I would still like to discourage the use of exotic fuel additives - maybe a "plain old gas" motto (if not a rule)?

Yep I took your idea and added alittle to it. Probably still needs work before it a proper rule however. And of course I want to get driver feedback before we make any change.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5730

I really don't think we should be using race gas of any kind, blended with pump gas or not. It just leaves too many variables. A stock 2.5 shouldn't have any detonation issues with 89 let alone 91.
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5731

Big Dog wrote:
Regarding pump gas, does anyone think that using pure race gas (of any grade) or a combination of race gas and street gas really makes more power? I am of the opinion, based on dyno work, that it does not.

Big Dog

Jim I don't fear race gas either. However I do like the idea of being pump gas only. I feel it further limits the potential for seeking HP through extra legal means. The big problem however with it was enforcement. This idea that Eric had is a good one. The proposal will be that cars must be capable of running pump gas with zero changes. If you want to throw in race gas fine. However you may be forced to run a race on pump gas.

Now it is just a proposal and I need feedback on if it is really a good idea for the class or just something that will cause a mess. You feedback is valid and welcome and I have not made up my mind either way.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 7 months ago #5732

• Big Dog
  • Banned
Oops, I just re-read Joe's original post and see that I should not have taken up space discussing a proposal. That comes later.

Here are some ideas to consider that have not been posted in this thread (I think).

Lexan windshields
After market valence as long as it is identical in shape to the original
Any radiator in the original position even if modifications need to be made to accomodate it.
Special "National Champion" rules to be issued by Big Dog on a race by race basis to Mr. Buzzetti.
Posted earlier but worth restating - aftermarket bits and pieces that perform like original parts

Big Dog
Jim Foxx
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds