Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rules change discussion timeline
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rules change discussion timeline

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 6 months ago #5831

Charlie,
I have been busy with things. I will see if I can compile the list of changes and allow everone to see them an comment on them. I will word them in what I think will work and the will take feed back. I will set deadline for feed back and then on conjuction with the other regional directors make decision. The rules update for 2010 will then go to National for final review. Then they are published.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 6 months ago #5832

Jim,
The shift linkage is not bad if it is all working properly. However parts wear out and problems can result. I had shifting issues in bot Sat and Sunday races due to a loose bolt in the back. I need to be able to mod the system to make sure it does not become a problem again. Now a Mod can be something as simpy as drilling the set scre for a lock wire. It could also be replacing the set screw in a hole to one where you actually bolt in to the hole with threads. Same goes for the pin joint at the shifter. Sometimes you can reaplace the shifter. Sometimes the black rod is worn out too and that is harder to replace. So it makes sense to allow you to replace that joint with something more robust.

Currently there are no "kits" out there that do this other than "short shift kits" Short shift kits intent to reduce he shift throw in an effort to make it faster. Now I don't know how much it helps, but it might be a performance edge to shift faster than stock. However it is maintainabily repair to mod things to ensure you don't miss a shift or miss a gear.

So the current rules allow to mod the shift linkage, but not shorten the throw.
Joe Paluch

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 6 months ago #5834

Maybe we could get one of our shops/sponsors to come out with a kit to improve the stock linkage?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 6 months ago #5836

if it does not shorten the throw then it would be an improvement.

Really and shop that can come up with a reliability/mantainability/safety upgrade will be welcomed in this class. It is those guys that want make some go fast part that will be frowned upon.
Joe Paluch

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 6 months ago #5838

• Big Dog
  • Banned
FYI on shifting. Mine was VERY sloppy. I replaced the shift lever, the plastic bushing at the bottom and the plastic connection at the trans linkage and it tightened up the shift action nicely.

I am not sure how much better it could be made because of the actual internal mechanism in the trans itself, which seems to have a bit of play. I had thought about attaching a heim joint to the shifter end of the rod and even using heim joints on the external shifter at the trans to try to tighten it up even more but am not sure that the effort would be much of an improvement over what I did and it would be a lot of work to do it.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Rules change discussion timeline 14 years, 6 months ago #5839

Jim the 5 foot long shift rod also can get round out over time making an hour glass shape. This means even with a new shift rod you still get slop.

You are correct however that there is only so much you can do outside the tranny. However the rules are set-up so you can do alot as long as you don't shorten the throw.
Joe Paluch
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds