Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

New here and looking for info/advice
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
944Spec Southeast Region Newsletter Sign Up!

madmimi.com/signups/334153/join

NASA Southeast Website

nasa-se.com/

Region Sponsored by Appalachian Race Tire.

www.racetire.com/

TOPIC: New here and looking for info/advice

New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 3 months ago #15069

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
This may be the wrong place (like asking a fox to guard the hen house ) but I'm torn with respect to buying a '44 car.

I am an ex SCCA racer (water cooled VW's) and previously a PCA (and other) instructor. I'm try to assess two things:

- What type of car to buy...... a mildly prep'd car to go back to DE's, or a race car that get's me back to DE's or even back to racing if I wished.

- What type of car count show up to Spec races around the southeast (I do VIR to Daytona).

If the car counts are high and the races are many then having a racer may be the ultimate way to get back in. If not, then I'm fine going back to DE for now, just missing the track in general and don't have tons of time for much of anything so I want to make the right decision.

Please don't be shy with responses, I wear big boy pants

TIA

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 3 months ago #15070

Here in the Southeast the car counts have been growing- we started 2012 with just one 944-Spec car but ended the season with 5.

So far for 2013 we have one driver in the March comp school, one in the November comp school, one licensed racer planning on having his car built in time for the March race and another in comp school at some time this year.

NASA-SE usually has one race/month as does the Mid-Atlantic region. PCA and 944cup have some races, too- check out John Torgerson's thread from last month for details.

If you decide to build rather than buy your car we can always put on a build party to get your car built- we have a hobby shop we call the "chicken shack" equipped with a lift and just about every tool neccesary to build a car from scratch.

Looking forward to seeing you out there!
NASA Southeast
944-Spec

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 3 months ago #15072

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
Been and done the construction thing before and have no yearning to do it again so this will be a buy attempt. Although I too have probably most everything other than a mandrel bender (welder, tools, lift at my house etc....)

I'd have to go back and get the comp license, I've long let mine lapse, but would have no problem getting them back I'm sure. Just don't know which way to go, buy a DE car or a full prep'd race car. I've found what seems to be a well loved DE'er that could one day be transformed. Also I know Al is trying to sel his racer as well as a couple of others. I'm torn or what to do. I love the competition but don't know if I want to get back into the quick pace of that. DE's are easy for me and less abuse on the car.............

choices......

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 3 months ago #15073

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Seems like it depends on how deep you want to get back into it. Do you have a tow vehicle and a trailer to get a racecar to the track? I ask because that is one advantage to DE, its a smaller endeavor to get to the track since you can just drive to/from the track. On the other hand, there are more than a few already prepped 944 Spec cars around the country that are going for anywhere from $5500 up. Knowing how much the consumables are on these cars (pads/rotors/tires), I think that's a steal for a DE car considering how long all those parts would last at DE speeds. Then you have the ability to do either TT/W2W at a later date.

On another note, there is a possibility that I may be moving back to Alabama here in the next couple of months and then a follow on move to North Carolina, so there's another possible car in the SE 944 Spec field.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 3 months ago #15074

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
Have brand new truck and 20' enclosed from my previous track career. I'm just torn on what to buy and how deep I want to be in it again. I don't do well with ego drama and politics and those traits tend to bury themselves deep in ameture racing.

What part of NC will you be in?

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 3 months ago #15075

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Well I think I can speak for all of us that choose to race in this class that its a priority that egos and drama are kept at a minimum. The point to this class is for those of us that understand were all making a hobby out of this and to just keep it fun. Furthermore, we help develop the other cars in our class just as much as our own because we know that when others see that, then they want to join in on the fun as well. This isn't Spec Miata where the potential to get rides in bigger classes make some go into crazy competitive mode. There is also a lot of cross pollination between us and PCA SP1 so that also keeps the racing at more of a gentleman's level. At least that is the feeling that I got when I decided to join the class.

As for NC, it would be at Ft. Bragg but no official word yet.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sterling Doc
Moderators: AgRacer
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds