Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

New here and looking for info/advice
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
944Spec Southeast Region Newsletter Sign Up!

madmimi.com/signups/334153/join

NASA Southeast Website

nasa-se.com/

Region Sponsored by Appalachian Race Tire.

www.racetire.com/

TOPIC: New here and looking for info/advice

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 3 months ago #15076

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
Well that certainly sounds good. I got into SCCA racing years ago not realizing that the pockets ran deep, ego and politics run rampant. I got out when Spec Miata became popular and every yahoo with 10k of Daddy's money was out on track beating and bumping like they were Nascar drivers!

Fort Bragg is only a little over an hour away from me, if you make it, make sure to drop me a line. In the mean time, I need to figure out what the best path for me is. If the racing is more gentlemanly than my previous experiences, I might just be up for a little wheel to wheel

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 3 months ago #15077

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Well, it sounds like you got out before NASA became as popular as it is now as a sanctioning organization. You experience sounds very similar to my Dad's with SCCA when he was racing formula fords. NASA is not SCCA and keeps the atmosphere fun and friendly. Some of the SE guys can describe some of the fun races Jim Pantas puts together for the SE region guys. Australian starts and other goofiness that is just plain fun. Just this past week end I was hearing several guys talk about how different it is to run with NASA as opposed to SCCA. If your car has its Annual sticker, then its up to you to make sure your car is ready to race meaning all you have to do when you get to the track is show up for your first session. I haven't run with SCCA, but it sounds like its not a fun experience. Our region director puts on a good dinner Saturday evening that is free to all participants and guests complete with a decent amount of adult beverages. NASA focuses on making things fun. I hope to get some PCA races in before I move here in Texas so I can see what thats all about as well.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 3 months ago #15078

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
Yeah NASA was just becoming an entity when I got out. To be honest, it was a complete joke and SCCA guys wanted nothing to do with NASA run cars. They did tend to be pure junk almost dangerous. It was the redneck, junk yard, parts cars showing up to VIR etc with high dollar race cars of the SCCA. To be honest, it's what I envisioned "club racing" to be. SCCA always seemed like a deep pockets group. They show up in 18 wheel rigs, big motor homes and for the most part, expensive cars...........above my then pay grade

I've loved DE because in the instructors group I could always find guys to run with that were all on the same page and we'd have our own little "race" during the sessions. Had some of my best times with those guys and we'd all come out with grins on our faces because there was nothing to win loose or prove. Now I do love competition, but I hate the politics and egos that usually go with it. To find a cool group of guys to run a series with sounds like a blast. No big car investments, run the tracks I know and just have a good time where the other racers are willing to help their competitors......sounds good! Now I just need a car and time

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 3 months ago #15079

993-

Your issues lead to what this class is all about - having more fun, for less cost than everybody else. We encourage data sharing, are open on chassis setups etc. It makes for hard, fast, and clean racing. Drama and pettiness are not welcome here!

At Nationals for the last couple of years, if the track record holders would hold clinics for the newer guys, share Trackmate data. Everone learns something (even the fast guys), and there are no drama or mysteries about how the fast guys are making time. It sets the tone for the class.

This sport is too expensive not to be fun! Otherwise it's just the addiction.

I have the answer to your dilemma right here: Buy me and make me a race car!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 3 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 3 months ago #15080

• 993innc
  • Junior Racer
You are soooooo killing me with that link!!!! I DON"T WANT MORE PROJECTS.......MUST RESIST, MUST RESIST!!! I just want to buy, arrive and drive something. If it was in Raleigh, I'd buy it just because but to make an 8 hour each way trip doesn't make sense.

I have a Speedster replica that I've been cleaning up for sale and need to sell (was supposed to do that for the buying of a track car but so far no flack form Mama!). I have a 914 that I'm doing a ground up resto (3 years so far), and a 993 I hardly touch any more. I just want a nicely cared for car that I can throw in my trailer and hit the track a couple times this year before I have to do any wrenching on.

I love the sound of the club's atmosphere, sounds like a group I'd like to be a part of for sure.....
Last Edit: 11 years, 3 months ago by 993innc.

Re: New here and looking for info/advice 11 years, 3 months ago #15081

LOL

Shouldn't cost too much to ship these, or spend a weekend going to get them.

www.944spec.org/944SPEC/forum/for-sale-9...pionship-winning-car

www.944spec.org/944SPEC/forum/for-sale-9...-ct-8000-dirks-motor
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Moderators: AgRacer
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds