Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Road Atlanta/Santa's Toy Run Race Report Dec 2013
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
944Spec Southeast Region Newsletter Sign Up!

madmimi.com/signups/334153/join

NASA Southeast Website

nasa-se.com/

Region Sponsored by Appalachian Race Tire.

www.racetire.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Road Atlanta/Santa's Toy Run Race Report Dec 2013

Road Atlanta/Santa's Toy Run Race Report Dec 2013 10 years, 4 months ago #17095

Last weekend we had the final 2013 race for the Southeast region- a dismal forecast (40 degrees, windy and raining) and some other issues kept what was going to be a record 944-Spec field down to 4 cars: me, Michael Dearstyne, Fred Toler and Victor Kelley.

The DE fields were smaller than usual, too but 944-Spec was still represented with Alan Evans in DE-1 and Pete Yousko prepping for comp school in DE-3.

Rob Weber volunteered to flag this weekend due to car issues (www.944spec.org/944SPEC/forum/general/17...rank-issue-need-help)and saw a ton of action at turn 10A.

Despite the ominous weather forecast Saturday turned out fine- chilly but no rain

Qualifying had Mike with the pole, followed by Victor, me then Fred. Mike checked out on us early but had to retire and Victor pulled out a slim lead and after Fred and I fought a little too hard for our own good on the first lap.

Victor hung onto the lead despite a major "faux pas" involving the flags (I'll let him describe it ) followed me, Fred, and Mike.

Saturday night was the end of the year awards ceremony and banquet- Michael Dearstyne was our season champion with me in second and John Duffy in third.

While the championship awards had been locked up the prior race weekend at CMP we did have another award no one had counted on- John Duffy was named rookie of the year!

To say he was surprised and the rest of us shocked and horrified is an understatment- congratulations, Duff!

The rain finally arrived Sunday morning and since the final race of the year was a non-points fun race there were very few cars. Victor and I went out but came in early and watched the finish from the stands.

The rain didn't keep either of our DE'rs off the track, though- Pete stayed the entire day cutting through the rest of the DE-3 cars despite having to squeegee the fog from his windshield in the straights and Alan stayed out even after having a rookie instructor fill in (me) after his instructor left early.

While the weather could have been better the racing and fun was still there

Now we can really look forward to 2014:

Races at Daytona, Barber, Road Atlanta, VIR, CMP and Roebling Road

The East Coast Nationals at Road Atlanta

Battling the 944-Spec Mid South crew at Barber, Higgenbotham & Co at VIR and both groups at Road Atlanta

Adding Glen, Manley, Pete, Michael, John and others to the Spec racers ranks

Getting RJ back after his "sabbatical"

No pics or video yet but they will be posted soon-
NASA Southeast
944-Spec
The following user(s) said Thank You: robweber1
  • Page:
Moderators: AgRacer
Banner
Time to create page: 0.07 seconds