Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Michael Dearstyne Stepping Down as SE 944 Director
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
944Spec Southeast Region Newsletter Sign Up!

madmimi.com/signups/334153/join

NASA Southeast Website

nasa-se.com/

Region Sponsored by Appalachian Race Tire.

www.racetire.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: Michael Dearstyne Stepping Down as SE 944 Director

Michael Dearstyne Stepping Down as SE 944 Director 9 years, 7 months ago #18116

Due to work and other commitments "Commander" Michael Dearstyne has decided to step down as the 944-Spec Series Director in the Southeast.

When Michael started he was the only 944-Spec car racing in the Southeast. Now, due to his leadership and help, car numbers are in the double digits and continue to climb

While he will still be racing with us in the Southeast occasionally he will definitely be missed as friend and competitor at the track, always lending a wrench, racecraft, or a lead-follow session during practice.

I don't think it is exaggerating to say that as least half of the 944-Spec field down here has had at least one race weekend saved due to Michael repairing a car at the track that would have otherwise been parked.

Something must be wrong with me, I'm even starting to feel nostalgic about his Red Bull and gin-fueled mayhem after the races...

Stepping into some big shoes as our new director will be Jason Stanley- our Southeastern hot shoe who was an oil spot away from possibly winning the Eastern National Championship a couple of weeks ago.

Jason, like Michael, is a very quick driver who has always been willing to help another driver fix or improve his car, offer driving advice, and is always fun to hang out with after the race.

Congratulations, Jason and good luck- "Commander" Dearstyne will be a tough act to follow!
NASA Southeast
944-Spec

Re: Michael Dearstyne Stepping Down as SE 944 Director 9 years, 7 months ago #18117

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
TL,DR version: Thanks for all your work getting the region going Dearstyne! Let's keep spreading the word and recruiting new 944 Spec drivers and have more fun doing it. Let's help each other stay on track and get faster. Part-oberfest! Free Toyos!

--

First of all, I’d like to thank the outgoing series director, Michael Dearstyne, for all his hard work getting this region off the ground. I left a region in Texas that had a few cars, but was splintered between PCA and NASA. When I showed up for my first SE event, it was refreshing to see a consistent group of faces that would stick around the entire season and have a good group of cars at each event. I think we are close to having consistently 10 cars each race next year with just a little help from the community.

I've had the chance to think about a few things for a while that I would like to try out if I were to become the Series Director for this region. While I'm not going to focus solely on recruiting, I think it’s still necessary to spread the word about our class to anyone that will listen. There are aspects about our cars that can appeal to those drivers in the other spec classes that could bring them over. We've already seen interest from a racer that was going to SE30, but now seems to want to play with us. I've also had success in Texas recruiting SM racers. Not to mention the first of our GTS1 defectors as well as the adopted GTS1 car we all have fun with at the track. Given our consistent rule set, power limit, and no real 'ringer' setup, we have an awesome cost-effective way to play.

At future races, look for me to do more driver development sessions. I think most of you have seen my videos, now it’s time to start analyzing them at the track to get the class better and faster as a whole. If you don't have a Traqmate, then I invite you to put whatever data logger/predictive lap timer you use into my car during practice to give you a better benchmark to track your progress. If you have a Traqmate, then we can load some fast laps onto it. I'm also always willing to drive other cars for any reason at all!

Lastly, let's continue the fine tradition of helping each other out. There's been a few trackside thrash repair sessions this year and that's a hallmark of our camaraderie and points to the fact that we aren't having fun if we aren't out on track. We all come to have fun racing, so let’s make sure we do everything we can to keep everyone on track. The more cars, the more fun we'll have. The more fun we're having, the more visibility we get. The more visibility we get, the more cars we'll attract. The annual Part-oberfest is approaching were we may have one of these sessions as well as a possible iRacing simulator to play around on where you can get a preview of Daytona or more experience on Road Atlanta and VIR.

As an incentive to finish out the year strong with solid numbers in our final 3 race weekends (VIR, Daytona, Road Atlanta), I'm offering up a set (4) of brand new Toyo RRs to one racer at the end of the season. To be eligible, we need at least 5 cars at each of our final races and you need to race in at least 4 of the remaining 6 races over the course of those 3 events. You must also be a racer that will continue with 944 Spec in the SE region next year. Winning selection criteria will not be based on race results. Regional Series Director not eligible.

If we show enough participation and interest for the remainder of the season, there's a high likely hood of Hawk Performance Brake Pads, compound of your choosing, being thrown in as well to a separate racer that meets the same criteria as above.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60
Last Edit: 9 years, 7 months ago by AgRacer.

Re: Michael Dearstyne Stepping Down as SE 944 Director 9 years, 7 months ago #18118

• AEvans
  • Junior Racer
Congrats, Iceman.
NASA Southeast
944-Spec
  • Page:
Moderators: AgRacer
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds