Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

944-Spec at Daytona
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
944Spec Southeast Region Newsletter Sign Up!

madmimi.com/signups/334153/join

NASA Southeast Website

nasa-se.com/

Region Sponsored by Appalachian Race Tire.

www.racetire.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: 944-Spec at Daytona

944-Spec at Daytona 9 years, 5 months ago #18477

Hard to believe, but it looks like I will actually post a video faster than Jason Stanley.

This is Sunday's race at Daytona:

vimeo.com/111335113

Jason Stanley on pole in the yellow car, Pete Yousko in the red qualified 2nd, I was 3rd, Bill Porter 4th, Shawn Taylor DNS.

The cliff notes:

2:07 Pete passes me going into the bus stop, I get the position right back drving through a dust cloud.

4:15 The restart after an S2000 goes into the wall after the bus stop.

6:10 Pete passes me again in the bus stop, this time it sticks.

7:02 An appearence by former SE 944-Spec director Mike Maduske in his Honduh Challenge car (yes, he is still around! )

10:31 Pete's car starts smoking badly, then goes back to running normally.

11:52 Pete gets pushed wide in turn 1 by a group of thunder roadsters, I get greedy and get nothing.

13:10 I pull out to pass Pete going into the bus stop, poor planning leads to me realizing too late that I will have to pass the roadster in front of him, too. An acute lack of talent and ability leads to a spin and Pete checking out on me.

15:38 A Spec E30 pulls in front of me and waves. I had been waiting to bump draft someone all weekend so I took it as a bump draft signal. I give him my best Top Gun "Affirmative" and go after him.

Turns out it was my buddy Oscar Edmonds- he had broken his regular car in qualifying and rented another one for the race so I didn't recognize him. He definitely did not want to bump draft in the rented car but I didn't know that

Fortunately, he realized what happened and was still laughing when he got out of his car afterward.

The rest of the race I chase down Oscar until the leading Spec Miata's come through on the last lap. I slowed to let them through before the bus stop and got a front row seat to a last corner pass for the win.

Daytona started off as a bucket list track for me, one that I just wanted to race to have done it. Now that I've raced there, though, I can't wait to get back!
NASA Southeast
944-Spec

Re: 944-Spec at Daytona 9 years, 5 months ago #18481

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Posted just in time for me to write up a recap for Speednews!

Ill have some video posted either today or tomorrow, just haven't had the motivation to work on it yet.

Of note, I looked at the data from Sunday and I reached a max speed of 137 mph and RPM of 6330 bump drafting an SE30 down the front stretch! Friends don't let friends race Daytona with a tall 5th installed!

After watching your video and comparing steering angle used in the bus stops, it really illustrates how much your car doesn't like to turn. After I post some video, compare how much you turn the wheel vs. me (assuming we both have a manual rack). Its about a half turn more which correlates to a lot of plowing and speed lost at apex.

Lastly, inside intel says Daytona has been added back to the draft 2015 schedule!
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: 944-Spec at Daytona 9 years, 5 months ago #18547

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
Here's sundays race video:

I feel somewhat responsible for the S2000 spinning in the bus stop since it was the SE30 I was bump drafting that blew the braking zone and entry in to the bus stop producing that spectacular dust cloud the rest of yall drove through.

Lap number 6 on the counter is the new track record with a top speed of 129 mph done bump drafting an SE30.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: 944-Spec at Daytona 9 years, 5 months ago #18618

• upete57
  • Comp School
My video from Saturday's race. Sat race A bit busy at the start.
Pete

Re: 944-Spec at Daytona 9 years, 5 months ago #18623

upete57 wrote:
My video from Saturday's race. Sat race A bit busy at the start.
Pete

Great video, Pete! I forgot how much fun the first few laps were!
NASA Southeast
944-Spec
  • Page:
Moderators: AgRacer
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds