Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Spring Brake 2016 - RRR - April 8-10
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
944Spec Southeast Region Newsletter Sign Up!

madmimi.com/signups/334153/join

NASA Southeast Website

nasa-se.com/

Region Sponsored by Appalachian Race Tire.

www.racetire.com/

TOPIC: Spring Brake 2016 - RRR - April 8-10

Re: Spring Brake 2016 - RRR - April 8-10 8 years ago #20619

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
kimballkc wrote:
Yeah, I need to work on changing my racing style when the tires start to lose grip- after almost 40 minutes the fronts just weren't hooking up like they had been in 1-2 and 6-7!

This is why I didn't press for a risky pass any sooner than I did and only took the easy gains. I was hoping that after several laps of just pushing you it would add up and make for an easy pass, which turned out to be true when you got into that huge under-steer situation in 8-9 ruining your exit speed.

What tire pressures did you start out at? I did 28L and 30R and seemed to only have a little fall off in the rear towards the end of the race.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Spring Brake 2016 - RRR - April 8-10 8 years ago #20620

I think I was running 32 psi all round (but I'm not sure even if my gauge was right), which is likely the reason the tires went off quicker. I'll have to start copying your tire pressures if you'll let me!
Kyle Kimball

Orange 1984 944 #444

Re: Spring Brake 2016 - RRR - April 8-10 8 years ago #20622

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
kimballkc wrote:
I think I was running 32 psi all round (but I'm not sure even if my gauge was right), which is likely the reason the tires went off quicker. I'll have to start copying your tire pressures if you'll let me!

I've found the tires will raise about 7 psi and I like mine to be in the 37-38 psi hot range which is at the bottom of the recommended hot psi window toyo recommends. On Saturday I took a hot pressure coming right off track and found that the right raise a whole pound and a half more than the left. I lowered my cold psi another pound for Sunday's race since it was a little longer than Saturday's race.

If I get to do a good warm up, I like to set the hot pressure in the hot pits coming right off track for qualifying. I'll usually set it at 37.5 all the way around and then not adjust them again at all until after qualifying. Setting cold pressures is good, but setting them hot is even better and then you can just leave it or make a small adjustment between sessions to compensate for a longer session. I don't hide my pressures so just ask!
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Spring Brake 2016 - RRR - April 8-10 8 years ago #20623

Thanks for the info, I'll have to toss my gauge in the car during the next warmup. My front left tire is actually almost worn out just from the 4 sessions I had on Sunday, I'm sure due to my pressures being too high.
Kyle Kimball

Orange 1984 944 #444

Re: Spring Brake 2016 - RRR - April 8-10 8 years ago #20624

• AEvans
  • Junior Racer
Get a room you two
NASA Southeast
944-Spec

Re: Spring Brake 2016 - RRR - April 8-10 8 years ago #20636

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
AEvans wrote: