Hot Electrical problem
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hot Electrical problem

Hot Electrical problem 14 years, 10 months ago #4725

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
So for the last 2 race weekends I have had an electrical problem where if the car stalls I cannot restart it when hot, but could when things cooled down. At buttonwillow on Sunday I died coming off the track actually on the scales, but after letting the car sit for 15 mins was able to restart and get the car on the trailer.

This last weekend at Thunderhill I had a problem where the car started to buck and die (some what similar to an out of gas situation) and the car died in the pit in lane. After a tow back to the paddock I replaced the battery with a full size group41 from down town thinking the light weight battery had died or I had bad cables when hot.
Sunday was fine with the new battery until the race where i had a significant lack of power from the start and within 2 laps was having to nurse the car until I could pull into a safe area so the yellow didn't have to come out. While there the car died and would not restart (starter wouldn't even turn).

Throwing a jump box on to the car always allowed a start. Voltages were 12.7 and today 11.8. Starting the car today (with the jump box) showed no charge out of the altenator so I pulled that>

On the back of the altenator is a black rectangular box with a female termilal that plugs into the back of the Alt. This had broken off from the mounting plate and was hanging free. Looking at PET this appears to be
a condensor with part no: 944 603 143 00 which is available from Pelican as a special order part.

Do you guys think this condensor could be causing (or lack of) the symptoms above ?

Thanks
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.07 seconds