Tow bar- anybody use 'em?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tow bar- anybody use 'em?

Tow bar- anybody use 'em? 10 years, 7 months ago #16525

• Gino230
  • Comp School
I'm a newbie so bear with me.....

Just curious if anybody uses a tow bar to get the car to the track? I'm in the market for a trailer. In the mean time- One track is 35 miles from home, the other is about 60 so it would not be alot of miles.

Assuming I'm on rollers, would it screw up the alignment? Wearing on the wheel bearings, obviously....

Car is street legal with a tag, but I've been advised about driving a caged car on the street without a helmet.

Thoughts?

Re: Tow bar- anybody use 'em? 10 years, 7 months ago #16526

I've seen people use them. I think a dolly is the better option if you could go that way.

The way I've seen these cars flat towed is people get a second front bumper and rig up the tow bar to that. At the track, they just pull the two big bolts in the bumper shocks and swap bumpers.

I don't see any big issues with bearings. You would probably want street tires on it.

Re: Tow bar- anybody use 'em? 10 years, 7 months ago #16528

• Kurt R
  • Comp School
I used to use one a long time ago - towed an IT VW Rabbit with another Rabbit. The last time I used one was when I sold a 924s to the Rocky Mountain region. The only issue I could see in using one on a 944 is the bumper shocks are mounted to the body with bolts in tension, and they're not very big, so long term use could result in scary failure.

Re: Tow bar- anybody use 'em? 10 years, 7 months ago #16531

I've done all three:
Flat-towed my '95 Jeep Wrangler behind a diesel RV and a diesel f350-perfect.
20 foot car trailer behind a diesel F350-perfect.
Tow dolly behind our 2010 Jeep Commander, with a Hemi-perfect.

We're eliminating the car trailer, too much to store. The Jeep is still flat-towed to trail-head, or driven. We use the car dolly for the 924 track car for short and long trips. I wouldn't try to figure out how to flat-tow a P-car though. The tow dolly stores well, and not too expensive buying used. Some people get a bit nervous if you leave the half-shafts installed, and use the 'coast side' of the gears in the diff. Short trips, not a concern.
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds