Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

When to replace koni's
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: When to replace koni's

When to replace koni's 14 years, 3 months ago #6880

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
Ok anyone have a solid idea on when they need replacing? Just by feel? Pull them out and check resistance? Mine are going on 7 years old, and I'm wondering...no real visible leaks...thoughts? Dyno seems overkill...

Re:When to replace koni's 14 years, 3 months ago #6881

I am on my second set. As you know our cars were built around the same time. However mine has a lot more miles.

I don't have good answer for you. When I replaced mine I did not see big difference. I guess you could have them rebuilt every year if you wanted. Keep two sets and rebuild one set while the other is in the car.

Heck I don't really know other than if you know one is leaking or not. Dyno is probably the only way to know for sure. Maybe buy a new set and push them to compare.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:When to replace koni's 14 years, 2 months ago #6901

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I use Bilsteins but I replace shocks once a year as a maintenence item regardless of brand. You can sell your castoffs to the street crowd for 1/2 of what new ones cost.

BTW I have a pair of used Konis for sale. Only used on weekends. hahahaha

No really I do.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re:When to replace koni's 14 years, 2 months ago #6995

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
Charlie,

how "used" and how much? And you know I know you don't live anywhere near pasadina so don't try the old lady trick, I'm not falling for that...again...well ok but not for the third time....

Re:When to replace koni's 14 years, 2 months ago #7001

Hello from Dubai,

Here is a topic I just dealt with before leaving the states. Rich G, many many months ago said I should change shocks because of the number of races and probably 6 years old, I am not sure how old cause they are the ones that came with the car in 2006, then Charlie at Nationals was talking about when shocks heat up they start to go away when hot. I had been putting most of the blame for the car going away on the tires heating up. Watching the video from Nationals after 13 minutes the car was twitching on just about every turn. Rich is sooo generous he gave me a killer deal on his used koni's that I put on the car in Jan or Feb and ran at PIR before coming to Dubai, that coupled with replacing warped valves that were only closing about 70%, then for even more power ran the car without balance shaft or alt belts got my dream time of 1.11993 at PIR. The moral of the story is I could really tell a huge difference in handeling, with the car going much faster if I was on the old shocks it would have been a hand full. The old shocks were pretty much blown, even when we took them off of the car cold at German Auto, there was almost no resistance and they had no leaks or signs of being shot.

I am have fun driving at the Dubai Autodrome again and now the new Yas Marina in Abu Dhabi, but I really miss racing with you guys and hope to be on track with you again soon, send me notes when you can, I would love to hear from you.

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Norman #99

Re:When to replace koni's 14 years, 2 months ago #7008

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Hi Jim, I just delivered them with my old car to the new owner. I did not hear from anybody so I figured the new guy could use them. Sorry!!!

I get mine from eshocks.com

Norm it is great to hear from you. What are you doing in Dubai?

Will we see you at Nationals? You will have to put the old shocks back on. They were good enough for the track record.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion