Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

944 Engine for Endurance racing
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 944 Engine for Endurance racing

Re: 944 Engine for Endurance racing 12 years ago #13514

The '88's late oil baffle, and slightly improved oil pan are good for endurance racing. All you really need are new rod bearings. A trap door in the oil pan would be nice, but is less necessary when you are on street tires. Very few of us run with an Accusump - just extra insurance there.
The 88's longer aluminum arms do not have the same issues that the early offset 85.5-86 arms do. They are pretty beefy and reliable. If the ball joints are good, you should be fine, otherwise, you can get a rebuild kit for them.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
The following user(s) said Thank You: karbuf

Re: 944 Engine for Endurance racing 12 years ago #13515

• karbuf
  • Comp School
Do you have any recommendations for what clutch/press plate kit?

Re: 944 Engine for Endurance racing 12 years ago #13516

The stock Sachs setup is fine except for the clutch disk itself. The Sachs disk tends to fail at the sheetmetal tabs that hold the friction material to the center.

I re-used my Sachs setup last time but replaced the disk with one from South Bend clutches. They custom made it for ~ $200 and the friction material to hub is a solid piece, very beefy. No issues so far (knock on wood).

Re: 944 Engine for Endurance racing 12 years ago #13547

• karbuf
  • Comp School
Ok... I'm officially a Porsche owner! Good News.. got a good deal on the '88.. Bad News.. it does not have the clutch bell housing!

QUESTION: Will an '84 bell housing work on the 88 (2.5L Non turbos)?

Re: 944 Engine for Endurance racing 12 years ago #13548

Yep, no problem. Congrats!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 944 Engine for Endurance racing 12 years ago #13551

• karbuf
  • Comp School
Next question: After I bought my '88, I found that it is missing everything from the flywheel to the torque tube! ie. Flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, throwout brg, starter ring, bell housing.. all the nuts/bolts...etc.

I found a guy that will give me a good deal on all those parts as a package but it all is from a 86 944 Turbo model... Will any of these parts cross over to my (non-turbo/non 944S) '88 model?

Thank you again for your help.. it is greatly appreciated.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds