Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Good Article on Seat Installation
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Good Article on Seat Installation

Good Article on Seat Installation 11 years, 5 months ago #14677

In doing some research with how to word the new roll cage rule with regard to the seat installation, I came across this: http://www.circletrack.com/safety/ctrp_0...s_mount/viewall.html

The only slightly confusing point is they are a bit inconsistent on is shoulder belt routing, 1st stating the it should be at or slightly above the drivers shoulders, then that it should be a t a 90 degree angle to the spine, and be lower if the seat is angled back. The second statement is closer to what HANS specifies, which can be found in another good article, here: http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_...ion_Instructions.pdf
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Good Article on Seat Installation 11 years, 5 months ago #14678

Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Good Article on Seat Installation 11 years, 5 months ago #14700

• ikazuchi
  • Comp School
The method in the FT86 thread is how I'd like to do it when I switch to a custom weld-in cage. The idea that the seat cannot move independently of the cage in an accident seems like a good one - don't want your belts to either tighten or loosen if the floorpan buckles. I've got some pushback on this when talking to some of the local guys - mostly that I'd be "over-building" the cage, which I'd rather mine be over than under built any day.

Does anybody in Spec do this now?

Re: Good Article on Seat Installation 11 years, 5 months ago #14701

• ikazuchi
  • Comp School
Adding to that, I was having a conversation with a guy who builds Spec E30s and he was mentioning how they have rules around the cage being "too much" of a chasis stiffening device, so he was telling me that they don't attach the cage to the A and B pillars and can't do anything like the above photo because it ties into the chasis. I've seen plenty of cages in 944Spec tied into the pillars so I'm guessing the rules are different for us, but I don't see anything specifically addressing that. I really don't understand how any governing body would be against anything that increases the safety of the drivers.

Re: Good Article on Seat Installation 11 years, 5 months ago #14719

Our current rules do specify that you can do A & B pillar attachments. Read closer
For next year, we are going to specifically allow you to tie in the cage to the seats. I plan to do something similar to what is in the picture to my car for next year.

We have the most liberal cage rules outside of GTS.
Eric Kuhns

2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Good Article on Seat Installation 11 years, 5 months ago #14723

• ikazuchi
  • Comp School
Sorry that was confusing to read - I did mean that Spec E30 can't tie to the pillars or do anything that would "strengthen chasis rigidity," which I didn't get.

Good to hear that we can do the seat tie-in next year, which is perfect since I won't be building my cage until then anyways.
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds