Username Password: Remember me

Rule Change Requests for 2016
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Requests for 2016

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20085

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
rd7839 wrote:
BTW, It has always been my experience that shorter throws on a shifter are NOT a good thing. I've owned a lot of VW's and they have a similar shifting setup. With those the shift rod was attached in the tunnel and those tabs would break off so you'd have to cut windows in the tunnel to weld them up plus the shifter also has a plastic ball cup that needed replacing. Even after all that they were never good so a new Hrst shifter went on. What would happen though is you'd lose feel in the shifter and since your shifting faster you had less time to let it find it's place. Ther's nothing worse than power shifting you 2332cc dual 48ida webered 200hp motor from 2nd to 1st! I still have nightmares about the sound of a porsche 912 rod coming apart and shooting out the top of the case!

For us it's usually downshifting that gives us the trouble. I have the most issues with 5th to 4th. At Thunderhill going into turn 1 it's a quick touch of the brakes, heel toe and down to 4th. I've missed it a few times but I can feel it while it's happening and just stop what I'm doing and get it right. I have that time and feel because of the long throws and the detents Porsche built into the gearbox. I don't have any trouble with the third gear shift because that has the best spring pressure and I can feel it. If I had a short throw I might not feel it as well plus it's much quicker.

And also food for thought, I've never missed that 5th to 4th during practice or qualifying when I'm on my fastest laps. It's ALWAYS when somebody is right on my bumper. So maybe it's not the car at all.

Most racers I know who have done a money shift do it on the 4th to 5th shift ending up in 3rd, myself included. Thats why when you watch my videos, I shift into 5th like granny did in her old buick.

Is the following what people are saying is currently legal? Doesnt shorten the throw or improve performance, just repairs worn out parts similar to what the front shift lever fix does with needle bearings.

only944.com/partscatalog/only/shiftlinkagearm/
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20086

I actually think it happens when the trans gets hot and the rubber bushing gets spongy. Would love to have a solid piece in there.
If you're not first, you're last!

-Abraham Lincoln

2014 944 Spec Regional Champion
2015 944 Spec Regional Champion

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20087

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
My $0.01 (since I am in the process of building and haven't turned a wheel in competition in this class)

1) Wheels: abstain (I don't know the marketplace for cookie cutters because I have to run the late offset Phones due to the chassis I picked for my build)
Some wheel designs (at same weight) could possibly provide increased/better brake cooling.

2) shifter: Yes
Only944 shifter is already approved replacement (make no change here). Ok with also replacing remaining parts (short shifter & linkage) with 944only parts. Require the use of the stock movement location on short shifter if installed. Purpose - Removes slop from old rubber bushings without reducing side to side throw, which I believe addresses initial reason for request.

3) bumper: yes
Cheap, easy, fix attainable by all at low cost.

4) dyno: Abstain.
no opinion since I have not raced under existing rule.

5) crank scraper: No.
Crank scrapers in my experience have primarily been used as a performance mod rather than reliability mod. Reduces windage in the crankcase freeing up a little HP. Reliability mods usually involve oiling restrictors to keep flow higher where needed (Bottom end, rotating assy such as rod and crank) and reduced where it isn't (Top end, generally valvetrain).

6) spare tire well: No opinion other than if approved, I won't be doing it.
Coolshirt mounted there.

7) Rear coilover: No.
While I absolutely prefer coilovers on all four corners in a racecar, I believe approval of this could likely result in an expensive case of haves and have nots. The advantages of having coilovers - Spring rates (additional springsets), more adjustable shocks, quicker adjustments/tuning etc. are not in keeping with what this class was built upon and increases the cost to play, given the current ability and availability of racing t-bars.
The class is a spec class and from when I started watching from the outside (since 2010), the racing has been pretty good...and a driver's class.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks
Last Edit: 8 years, 9 months ago by cgktexas. Reason: clarify reduced throw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbuzzetti, BritRacer

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20088

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
[quote="AgRacer" post=20085]rd7839 wrote:

Is the following what people are saying is currently legal? Doesnt shorten the throw or improve performance, just repairs worn out parts similar to what the front shift lever fix does with needle bearings.

only944.com/partscatalog/only/shiftlinkagearm/

From my understanding of the rules, I'd think that part would be legal, as long as the length was adjusted to the stock length. You can buy all those components from a hardware store. If the original Porsche part is worn, that would be something that someone could make and be in the original spirit of the rules. I think an OFFICIAL ruling on that needs to be made. Eric/Dan, is this part legal under the current ruleset?

sla11.jpg

14.3.1 Transmission shift linkage may be modified to remove slop or to repair worn components.
The length of the shift lever and the distance of throw of the shifter may not be modified. “Short Shifters” are not allowed. The shift lever (only) from Only 944’s is considered an acceptable
factory alternative: only944.com/partscatalog/only/shifter/
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 8 years, 9 months ago by RacerX.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20089

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
rd7839 wrote:
The part Alberto proposed is $130.

I wasn't proposing we change the rule to that part from 9xAuto which is $130 vs $90 for the shifter up front. I'm saying that we should be able to pick either of those, or even this one that is listed at $160.
www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Porsche/LRA-944-SSL.html

Now I've gone mad! The price has creeped from $90 to $160 you say? No, my point is that all three are equivalent and should be allowed. The $90 part looks good, it fixes the problem. The $130 part looks beefier and not any different performance though it might last longer so if I like that one I'd like to use that. The $160 part looks exactly like the same design as the $130, but it's painted black! Maybe I want to spend the extra $ on that (for illustration only, I don't). Does that mean everyone has to? No.

That is my point.

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20090

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
All three shifters however are not equivalent.
The biggest difference between the 9xAuto/Lindsey shifters and the currently legal Only944 shifter is that the latter is non-adjustable as compared to the other two and therefore remains pretty much stock throw at that end of the equation.

I believe that the first two provide a generous amount of adjustment that in conjunction with a transaxle mounted short shifter (if approved) could likely reduce front to back throw by more than 60%.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds